wild dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natron

Reaction score
got within 10 ft. of this dog while in my vehicle on rt 26 bethel/newry, me today.. dog acted wild, very quick and agile covering ground quickly only stopped once and close enough for me to grab a quick pick! sooo.. is it coyote or coy-dog (looks like german shepard mixed in) or is it a pet that is now wild?

DSC00032.jpg

good looking shepard mutt. no coyote hybrid. my college dog was a shepard mutt that came out of a pack of street dogs in New Haven. extremely smart, resourceful, friendly and protective after adoption.
This guy looks like he'd be the same if someone fed him.

I agree with Chip. Looks like a well fed, healthy German Shepard. Prolly someones pet.

looks far too clean and well cared for to be wild. Look at those sparkeling white teeth!
I often let my dog run around the house without her collar, and sometimes I forget to put it back on her if I let her out.
She has even gone to work a time or two without it...

I would imagine my dog to act skittish and run away if approached by a human, especially if she somehow made it out of the house or work and decided to wander.

Beautiful dog, hope it made it back home safe and sound.

got within 10 ft. of this dog while in my vehicle on rt 26 bethel/newry, me today.. dog acted wild, very quick and agile covering ground quickly only stopped once and close enough for me to grab a quick pick! sooo.. is it coyote or coy-dog (looks like german shepard mixed in) or is it a pet that is now wild?

View attachment 3672

Nice pic natron, btw. GREEN FOR YOU !!!

mannerisms

he gave a very wild impression.. still find it strange the way he darted across the street stopped on a dime to smell something darted along the side of the rd. than came my way stopped and took off.. his stride was different than other dogs and no collar.. sounds like the majority are thinking a loose pet though..

It looks like somebody's pet to me too. Good instinct to take the photo. I would contact the local PD and shelters with the photo & description of where it was taken.

Unfortunately, sometimes owners / hikers (walkers, etc) get seperated from their pets, and they are not from the area. You would be surprised how long a pet can survive on it's own. They can be quite scared and will not go to anyone but their owner, and don't understand why they are not there to retrieve them.

I'm aware of a Doberman that was living on its own for 19 months in CT (March 2009 thru Oct 2011, remember last winter?). It was seen by many in multiple areas, but no one could get near it. It didn't look like a lost pet, as it had obviously found a very good food source. Also, a Husky was seperated from her owner on Sandwich Mtn the day before TS Irene last summer. She was on the looose for an entire week. She was seen a 1/2 dozen times, but would run away upon encountering anyone. In such cases it is usually only the owner that can approach the dog. In the case of the Husky, because the owner had contacted a shelter that their dog was missing (they were from MA) once the dog was caught the Lost Pet network was reviewed by the receiving shelter, and the owner was contacted within minutes. Happy ending in both these cases.

Also a good idea to have your pet (dog, cat, etc) microchipped so that if it is found it's relatively easy to get in touch with their human.

thanx Cath and Ed!

Cath- I just got off the phone with the oxford county sheriff dept. sent them the pic., they will send it to animal control. The person whom I spoke to stated he didn't know of any reported missing dogs in the area, must be wild!:D

Ed -thanx for the compliment, I will try to contact them via email tomorrow..

here's a pic of my little dog, like Lauky he is high on the cute and athletic scale!
My boston, Mr. P-nut, I don't take him on busy hiking trails anymore because he can cause drama with other dogs, napolean complex and he actually graduated doggie obedience school and knows how to heel on and off leash, but still has issues with dog meetings some times.. but yeah he can hike for a little guy, he's done a bunch of 3 and 4kers in NH and ME..
DSC07244.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that is a co-worker's Keeshond/Husky Mix Nya. right Locale.......

Except that Nya is female :):):):)

Nya has a super talent for slipping anything you put on her...... collar, harness.... anything. When she wants to go---- she goes. Might as well be the WD-40 slipperiest dog ever.

Owner watched Nya one day lie down on the the ground, stretch out and wriggle inch by inch until she worked her HARNESS up over her shoulders, then just backed out of it completely.

I won't see co-worker until Friday, but I'll try to get back to this thread.

Breeze

View attachment 3672

There is no sign of a collar wear in it's fur. A nice long haired dop would show a collar mark around the neck from the collar. The coloring around the neck and shoulders seems different. The ridge in the skin doesn't look natural either. Have you altered the photo? :)

Good looking heathy dog. Some one should miss him. Any houses near by?

no altering, never have and don't know or want to..

There is no sign of a collar wear in it's fur. A nice long haired dop would show a collar mark around the neck from the collar. The coloring around the neck and shoulders seems different. The ridge in the skin doesn't look natural either. Have you altered the photo? :)

Good looking heathy dog. Some one should miss him. Any houses near by?

I was surprised how much that dog* looked normal from the photo, in real life his actions and mannerisms were pretty wild, hoping to find the answer.. I prolly found a new species, than I'll have to name it, than the fame, etc., etc..:D

*nearest building was the sunday river brew-pub..

I was surprised how much that dog* looked normal from the photo, in real life his actions and mannerisms were pretty wild, hoping to find the answer.. I prolly found a new species, than I'll have to name it, than the fame, etc., etc..:D

*nearest building was the sunday river brew-pub..

We'll probably never know, but I think it's feral. That skittishness, though, is also how lost dogs act when they know they're lost (nervous, darty), which is how they often end up hit.

That dog reminds me so much of my college dog, I'd adopt him in a minute. Mine was a pack/street dog, probably from birth, when me and my roommates started to feed him and another older white shepard mutt, in about his 10th month. Took them about 30 seconds to become "ours". These 2 mutts could have easily and happily provided fresh meat for us all on a daily basis if we needed them to. I have a couple of stories that would illustrate that, but they aren't for the squeamish.

If the tail were up over the back, I'd be 100% certain that's a Norwegian Elkhound. What weight and height was this dog compared to a purebred German Shepherd Dog (which is typically 70-100 pounds)? Did you ever see the tail coiled over the back?

looked like 50-60 lb dog.. and shorter than a german

If the tail were up over the back, I'd be 100% certain that's a Norwegian Elkhound. What weight and height was this dog compared to a purebred German Shepherd Dog (which is typically 70-100 pounds)? Did you ever see the tail coiled over the back?

I don't recall seeing the tail coiled over the back..