NE 100 Highest Route Info?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
Hi, I'm heading out this summer to walk with some friends and attempt to summit some of New Englands 100 highest peaks in Maine up in the Rangley area. I completed these back in 2002 myself and used information that Gene Daniels compiled but since have lost the data. I see where the AMC 4000 foot committee has information on routes to these peaks. They do have a mailing address to request and costs for different items (CD's Color Maps, Text Docs, etc, etc...) but do I need to send self addressed envelopes/mailers and how much postage? Also, does anyone know how long before they send any requested items? Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Redwood
100/100

It's been known to take months to get a copy.

However, if you (or anyone else) sends me an email or PM, I made a .pdf of it many years ago, and would be happy to email you a copy.

I believe Keith D is working on an update as well, and when that is completed, expect it to be available online somewhere. I;'m willing to host the current version on vftt.org (Kevin, you sent them to me some time ago) but it is not my IP to do this with so I would have to ask... who?

Tim

I wouldn't host it publicly, there has to be some level of challenge to the peaks. As the bushwhacking gets easier (it's a trivial walk to Boundary from ZEC Louise-Gosford), the trailhead locating should still stay difficult.
:)

I believe Keith D is working on an update as well, and when that is completed, expect it to be available online somewhere. I;'m willing to host the current version on vftt.org (Kevin, you sent them to me some time ago) but it is not my IP to do this with so I would have to ask... who?

Tim

Tim - my copy is quite old - 2008 I believe - so I would hope there are more current versions out there.

Sometime the AMC4K Committee behaves like the Secret Handshake Society, and that this NE100HH route information is Classified, which runs contrary to everything I hold dear.

....As the bushwhacking gets easier (it's a trivial walk to Boundary from ZEC Louise-Gosford), the trailhead locating should still stay difficult.
:)

Ummm...on which stone is that engraved, MJ?

Last edited:
Keith D is obviously the person to ask for permission ... I believe he released a version last year or the year before.

I seem to remember that there is an IP issue with publishing it online, the included maps almost certainly have copyright restrictions. Unless, of course, Keith is working on a Google maps version :)

I always liked Gene's approach, identify possible routes to trailheads and possible issues in getting there but hold off on giving specific bushwhack routes beyond broad suggestions once the possible trailhead was located. I am not a fan of giving a specific GPS track for each summit as planning was always half the fun.

I will date myself but I remember the good old days when the only map availlable for the 4 pack (now the 6 pack)north of Eustis was a USGS 15 minute series map from the twenties. Boy it was nice when the new 7.5 minute provisionals came out for the area.

If you can get the info by writing, I cannot see how it is any different by hosting it online. I asked Keith last year and he was not yet finished with it - I have the 2008 version you gave me, Kevin - and have done all the planning based on that information. Now I just need a nice 4-day weekend ;)

Tim

I will point out that there is a nice way to find all the trailheads and roads on a public Google Map made by a well-known bushwhacker who was once a contributor here. Look for "6 pack road cheat sheet" on Google Maps...

Tim

I'm unclear if VFTT has become Tim's site or if it is still community-"owned"??? If the latter, why not post a poll and let the membership speak as to whether such info should be posted on the site (assuming you can get permission from the author/collator)?

It seems like searching through VFTT trip reports and trail conditions would already be an easy way to get good directions with tips. Didn't someone already make the HH and maybe even the 3ks into a kml?

Tim, Dave and I are moderators but we're also VFTT members. Each of us has our own opinions on things.
I'm still chipping away at the NEHH and there really IS a lot of info on existing trip reports and from friends.

IMO a poll doesn't really uncover much. The small percentage of those who reply will feel strongly one way or the other and not necessarily representative of what the 'community' feels.
The people who volunteer to run the board spend a lot of time talking about things that influence members. We have a pretty good idea of what folks think, either in posts or the 'report cards' we receive in PMs or emails. :)

I do not claim to own this site - I administer it as a public service to the community. That said, I do think that as my name is on it, I (along with the moderators) would be the first ones to be contacted if there was a legal issue. I am offering to host the NEHH document(s) only as a continuing service to the community (the site comes with unlimited disk space and bandwidth.) I do not presume that I have the authority to do so, since it is not my IP, and a poll is not going to change that. In reality, http://www.amc4000footer.org/ should probably host it.

There are probably a whole bunch of other things we could host too, this is just the first one to come up since the transition in February... Or maybe we don't host anything since there are plenty of other ways to host things for free, or nearly so.

I heard a rumor recently that the AMC 4000 Footer Committee found a new webmaster and that their site will get more attention...

Tim

Last edited:
I will date myself but I remember the good old days when the only map availlable for the 4 pack (now the 6 pack)north of Eustis was a USGS 15 minute series map from the twenties. Boy it was nice when the new 7.5 minute provisionals came out for the area.
Does anyone know any links to get these 7.5 maps? I would like to get them to help with these mountains[ne100 list].I am looking for the actual full sized quads[usgs],thanks in advance....

Hi All,

I had a conversation with Keith D. (4K club keeper of the NEHH info) just minutes ago and he asked me to post something about this issue for him.

As most of us probably know, Gene D. used to update the NE100 info and also respond to requests for this info. There was sometimes an issue where the info packet was slow to get the in the mail to people but that has all changed with Keith now being responsible for this info. Keith now maintains an "under a week" turnaround after receiving a request so the timeliness of responses has been much improved.

As I stated Gene had been responsible for the NEHH info until three years ago when Keith took the job over. Keith updated the NEHH info shortly after he took over from Gene and has very recently updated it again. The new packet of NEHH info (route descriptions and black & white maps) will be available on Awards night, Saturday, April 14 for $5.00. They will also still be available by mail for the same price of $5.00 which includes mailing costs.

Keith emphasized that the NEHH info will not be available to be posted on VFTT or any other web sites. Any proceeds, beyond basic costs, goes to trail maintenance so when someone buys an info packet from the 4K club, they are also supporting trail maintenance which is a good thing.

If anyone has any questions, Keith has asked that his email address be made available. Here it is: keithwm48 at aol dot com.

Thank you everyone!

John

As mentioned, the AMC version is intellectual property which they sell so it should not be posted anywhere regardless of how you feel about the next paragraph.

Some people feel that bushwhack routes should not be posted as that eliminates much of the challenge and others feel they should not be posted because large groups of people walking the same way create herd paths which become trails often in locations which are highly erosive. To be consistent, these people should oppose group hikes to these peaks which have similar effects.

Also as mentioned, somebody who disagrees with the above has a website with detailed directions of certain routes which may or may not be the best. As I don't know the URL, I need not decide whether I should disclose. it

Keith emphasized that the NEHH info will not be available to be posted on VFTT or any other web sites. Any proceeds, beyond basic costs, goes to trail maintenance so when someone buys an info packet from the 4K club, they are also supporting trail maintenance which is a good thing.

John

Well the secret handshakes society continues. At least it's not like the late 70's and early 80's where it was considered bad etiquette to climb the Boundry and White Cap Peaks on a non-sanctioned Appy Trip. IMO this whole thing smacks of elitism. Let's all move on and realize that anyone whom is going to do this list has to be quite into the quest and any additional info on the net isn't going to change a dam thing. Most of that info is already out there anyhow. Sorry Keith but this is just another ploy to put monies in the AMC's pocket.

I agree most of the information and route info is on the net. Making it 'a click away', though, makes it so much easier for people not seriously interested to have it at their fingertips. No elitism here, I hope, but plain-as-day instructions, routes, tracklogs and way points take away part of the fun of doing the research, part of the game. And, much better chance of even more well-established herd paths and eventually flagging on these.

I agree most of the information and route info is on the net. Making it 'a click away', though, makes it so much easier for people not seriously interested to have it at their fingertips. No elitism here, I hope, but plain-as-day instructions, routes, tracklogs and way points take away part of the fun of doing the research, part of the game. And, much better chance of even more well-established herd paths and eventually flagging on these.

Good thing to be concerned about, but I wonder how many people who are not serious will do anything with it? I know I have printed out stuff that I have never followed up on because although it held some interest, that wasn't impetus enough.

Some of a similar fear was voiced when I wrote and had published a guidebook to New England beaches back in the 90s. It gave descriptions, told about facilities, and provided detailed directions to over 400 regional ocean beaches. At the time, this information was not in any one sources. A frequent comment was "Oh, no, now that you've publicized my favorite beach it will become crowded!" It was a false fear. Most people don't change their routine that easily.

Last edited: