The Top 3 New Hampshire Day Hikes for First Timers (sports.yahoo.com)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also dont recomend Oscela from Tripoli road as a first time hike as the long section of potentially wet tilted rock steps can be unnerving to some first time hikers. It also doesnt have a lot of great intermediate viewpoints.

Does anyone but me find Osceola a bit too rocky on the descent for their tastes? It was my second White Mountain Hike and I did not enjoy it all that much. My kids didn't seem to mind it too much, maybe it is just me.

Tim

I find the rocks down below to be the most bothersome but the top 2/3's of the trip I love. Kids love stepping on the rocks. (On the Cub Scout Hikes I lead, the kids love stepping on each rock, even if it slows them down but then again, they don't care one iota about book time or taking too long on a relatively flat section of trail...)

I think most kids - under 12 - would love it. Bringing a novice girlfriend or spouse who doesn't do a lot of outdoor activities, might find it too rocky.

Last edited:
I think most kids - under 12 - would love it. Bringing a novice girlfriend or spouse who doesn't do a lot of outdoor activities, might find it too rocky.

Well then I guess that explains why this is one of my favorites in all of the Whites .... growing up was never an aspiration of mine ;):D.

This trail in its entirety isnt very long, Last time I took a group of moderately fit first timers up it it only took us 1hr 11min to the top, and 3 hours total round trip including East peak. How tedious does a trail that short have the potential of getting? I'd think if someone is worried about walking on potentially slippery rocks, that leaves 98 % of the trails in NH out and maybe a paved path to a place like Dianas Bath is better recomendation for them.