The Top 3 New Hampshire Day Hikes for First Timers (sports.yahoo.com)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm - not knocking these hikes, but it sounds like someone didn't want to travel too far north. :) While I enjoy Welch/Dickey and Rattlesnake, they just don't give me the encompasing views that most mountains further into the midst of the Whites do. Just my little opinion, though.

I don't think I would bring a first timer up Welch and Dickey, the slabs can be quite intimidating.

Well, it's not clear if "first timers" means first time hiking in NH or first time hiking ever. And I don't think he sugar coats the more challenging aspects of either Chocorua or Welch-Dickey. I got this off the NH State Parks Facebook feed, so they felt it interesting to promote this article.

Tim

I don't think I would bring a first timer up Welch and Dickey, the slabs can be quite intimidating.

I agree with Rainman on this. I might have mentioned the Sugarloaves in Twin Mountain, but route finding might not be simple for a novice. Probably Willard is too commonly mentioned as a gem, but how about White Ledges from the campground on Route 16? Or Blueberry over in lovely Evans Notch?

I agree with Rainman on this. I might have mentioned the Sugarloaves in Twin Mountain, but route finding might not be simple for a novice. Probably Willard is too commonly mentioned as a gem, but how about White Ledges from the campground on Route 16? Or Blueberry over in lovely Evans Notch?

Let me edit my posting as I've just been reminded that Blueberry is in Maine. So, instead, how about The Imp loop.

I would add Mt. Major. If your talking about a beginner who doesn't want ledges, they can be bypassed by using the yellow trail. The views from the top of Mt. Major are breath taking.

023-6.jpg

027-2.jpg

018-7.jpg

Top three in NH for first time Novices?????

What would they need to see? Most of us are summit of view fixated, what about waterfalls of gorges.

Could you come up with great destinations without a summit? How about to get to a ravine floor, Tucks or Kings? Then walk & drive to see Crystal Cascade & Glen Ellis Falls, throw in Lost Pond for a day of ponds? Ethan Pond & the Falls on the way? Drive up the auto road & do a walk on the Alpine Garden Trail? Take the tram up Cannon and walk around the summit trails & go over to the view from the top of the cliff? Just up to Lonesome Lake or Zealand Notch view of Carrigain Notch?

Assuming summits of at least open views up high,

Major or Belknap allowing for views if the lakes & peaks in the distance are good
Imp Face for the views in the Pinkham Notch area
Willard or Middle Sugarloaf, not sure you'd have to do North but the route to Middle is pretty easy.
Black Cap is easy enough (& has Blueberries)
Does the rocky summit of Monadnock disqualify it for beginners?

Last edited:
I'd include Mt. Cardigan. A great first "real" mountain to do with kids. The route from the west is just three miles round trip. I've never done Willard; but that one seems to be a very popular short hike.
Monadnock is more difficult than the other two; but also tends to attract a lot of novices.

Cardigan is indeed a great first mountain hike destination but a newbie should avoid the Holt Trail, especially if the rock is wet or icy. I have had to hold the hands of several hikers who "froze up" on the exposed slabs. Getting people to stand up and walk is sometimes difficult. I went up the trail once with my wife and a snow squall caught us on the slabs. She was not amused and of course said "This always happens when I go with you". All is well that ends well.

I always recomend Mount Osceola Trail via Tripoli Road, and have never had negative feedback from first timers. I think its one of the best work to reward ratios available in the Whites.

My first hike was Mt Chocorua when I was 7, and then a couple weeks later it was Osceola. I've been hooked ever since. I agree that Chocorua was an amazing experience, and the views were something that I did not know exsited in NH.

Welch and Dickey is the first hike I did after taking a long hiatus on the trails (10+yrs) and I agree there is one ledge in between welch and dickey that is a bit intimidating....if you have a butt, you can get on it and slide down that day.

West Rattlesnake is the only hike on there that seems like a first timer hike to me. Its a piece of cake, and has great views for the small effort required to hike.

Are we assuming first timer means out of shape/sedentary ? For someone who is physically fit and active but not a hiker I would start with Franconia Ridge. Up falling waters and down Bridle path. That hike has about everything, not too long. I would also go out of my way to find a good weather day so they would want to become a second timer. If they were sedentary I go along the lines of what people have mentioned here. I am also assuming I am going with them to advise them on what to wear, back country safety, etc...

Up falling waters and down Bridle path. That hike has about everything, not too long. I would also go out of my way to find a good weather day so they would want to become a second timer.

That was the first White Mtn hike I took with my wife. It was a great intro to White Mountain hiking and great inspiration to hike the 48 and beyond!

Does anyone but me find Osceola a bit too rocky on the descent for their tastes? It was my second White Mountain Hike and I did not enjoy it all that much. My kids didn't seem to mind it too much, maybe it is just me.

Tim

Does anyone but me find Osceola a bit too rocky on the descent for their tastes? It was my second White Mountain Hike and I did not enjoy it all that much. My kids didn't seem to mind it too much, maybe it is just me.

Tim

I'd agree with you - the descent from that route is quite tedious. Personally, when I hike it I'm usually doing both Osceolas from the Greeley Ponds side, which has its own particular challenges. I think I've only done it from the Tripoli Rd about 3 times, but on one of those times saw the biggest moose I've ever seen - it felt like at eye-level I'd be staring at his knee-caps. Well, that's a bit of stretch, but he was big!