Monongahela National Forest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ow2010

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia? I'm wondering what some of the must-see spots are... So far Spruce Knob and Seneca Rocks are on my list. How is the hike up Spruce Knob? Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Is anyone familiar with Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia? I'm wondering what some of the must-see spots are... So far Spruce Knob and Seneca Rocks are on my list. How is the hike up Spruce Knob? Any suggestions are appreciated :)
The tourist hike up Spruce Knob is trivial and can be done in the rain, what's tough in the rain is driving the miles of muddy roads. My mother says that after you get home from WV, you think all the roads in the White Mtns are straight.

After a couple days there, I spent the night at my uncle's and spent an hour hosing off mud while he was at work. When he got home, he looked at my car and said, "You know, I have a hose if you want to wash some of that mud off!"

Blackwater Falls is worth seeing. There is a nice lodge there. Blackwater Canyon might be a place you'd like to explore. You can actually drive to the top of Spruce Knob. Seneca Rocks is a great place. Lots of White water rafting in WVa if you like. The New and the Gauley Rivers are great spots. There are excellent sections of the Cheat thru the Cheat River Gorge. I don't think WVa offers any more mud than anywhere else on the roads. Enjoy your time in West 'by God' Virginia. Go Mountaineers!

Thanks for the info! A bit difficult to find any good maps of the area on the internet. It looks like any hiking approach to Spruce Knob is a bit lengthy (11+ miles).

The 3-mile hike to Seneca Rocks and then driving up Spruce Knob sounds like it might make a nice day. I will look into Blackwater Canyon as well. I've always been interested in visiting the New River Gorge.

Mon National Forest

A bit difficult to find any good maps of the area on the internet. It looks like any hiking approach to Spruce Knob is a bit lengthy (11+ miles).

You really don't want to hike up to Spruce Knob. Its a drive up. Better option is to drive up and hike down into the Seneca Creek drainage. Beautiful high mountain meadows, waterfalls, etc.

Another good choice is Dolly Sods, a short distance (as the crow flies) north of Spruce Knob. You can find good on-line maps here: http://www.whitegrass.com/about.html

A little further south the Cranberry Backcountry is also a nice destination; it worth checking out the Falls of Hills Creek if you go.

amf

Dolly Sods

Another good choice is Dolly Sods
amf

Don't miss Dolly Sods. I have hiked most of that area of West Virginia, and almost all of the Sods, and nothing compares. You will see all kinds of birds, snakes, bear and deer. The plants and biology will amaze you. Hike "Roaring Plains" if you can. It is a nice long day hike, and you probably won't see another person.

Hello there y'all,
First post here - I would have replied sooner but had to wait to get approved.
Almost asked where to send the beer.:D

I have spent a lot of time on the Monongahela NF. Lots to see and a lot of great Mid Atlantic hiking.
As mentioned Dolly Sods is a fantastic place. In Canaan valley, it has a very unique environment where Southern and Northern forests and wildlife meet. It's not a big area, and best visited during the week rather than on weekends, and absolutely avoid it on holidays. I started hiking there in the '70's when nothing was really marked well and just finding a way around was a bit more of a challenge. It still is can be a challenging area though, particularly with bad weather. It has a tendency to catch any weather coming from the West or the South, and it can get wicked. You'll get the idea when you see all the flagged spruces in an area called Bear Rocks. I have been literally blown off my skis up there in the winter. But then again, I don't claim to have any sense either.

Just to the South of the sods is an area called Roaring Plains that was just recently incorporated as a Wilderness. None of the trails are marked, and and there is one that runs along the rim of a canyon with some of the most spectacular views in all of WV. I can send pics later if they allow them in this forum.
Other places well worth visiting for BP trips:
Otter Creek Wilderness - a really pretty canyon (good trout fishin') with all the trails leading out of it old RR grades. My wife loved this place because of that. It's one of the last areas with big stands of Helmlock still untouched by the wooly Adelgid. (sorry about the spelling)
Tea Creek Wilderness - more fishin'
North fork Mountain (no water - but a trail that runs for miles along an open ridge.)
Canaan Mountain - an interesting mix of old roads and trails. Popular mountain bike area, but hikers can avoid them.
There's a bunch of others.

Best way to start is to come on down and stay at Blackwater Falls State park in the lodge (nothin' fancy) Go down to the town of Davis and visit some of the shops in town and start asking questions. The surrounding area is one of the best mountain bike areas in the country, and Blackwater Bikes is a great place for info. In the winter Whitegrass XC center is the place to go. They have all kinds of maps and info (even on their endless site at Whitegrass dot com) Both Davis and it's sister town to the north Thomas have very very good competing microbrews, and the Purple Fiddle hosts both local and national finger-picking talent. So if you're not hiking, you'll find stuff to do! Google Canaan Valley and you'll find lodging potential.

A good book for the area (yeah - I'm old school) is Monongahela NF Hiking Guide by Allen Dehart, and there is lots on the web as well.

Lastly a great site for maps and trail info is MidAtlanticHikes dot com. You'll find maps and trail info there.

I'll think of more later, and post some pics if I can. Post any questions about MNF and I'll either answer or play dumb.
Now I have to ask some questions elsewhere about West Canada Lakes - a place we visited about 20 years ago and I want to go back.

Cheers!

Thanks all for the really great information! I made a day-trip over Easter weekend and saw the major sights...a nice hike to the top of Seneca Rocks and a drive up Spruce Knob. It's fascinating how different the topography is than that of New England...very dramatic views, especially the view east from Spruce Knob looking toward North Fork Mountain. 4800 feet feels a lot different too! Since I may be spending significant time in the Mid-Atlantic area I will surely be back...I'd like to explore Roaring Plains as well as make it further south to the New River Gorge.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Glad you made it down to explore!
You were fortunate we had such an early spring this year. Usually anything from 3800 to 4200' is still snow choked around easter season. Looks to be a really hot and humid summer ahead.
I have Roaring Plains info and maps if you need them. MidAtlanticHikes web site has both maps and trail description, as the hike starts out on a well used trail then diverts onto an unmarked one locally called Hidden Passage (its well named!) From there on it's an easy to very-interesting bushwack to the canyon trail. Once on that its pretty easy to follow, unless the clouds roll in, then it gets very-very-interesting :eek:

Another thing I might mention about both Dolly Sods and Roaring Plains. Bear hunting is a big thing around there in the fall. But the good ol' boys like to drive up into the area with their dogs and 'train' them nearly every weekend. At sunset, they turn the pack loose, let them find a scent, and off they go. It's fun to listen to if they're way off in the distance, but the hounds cover an amazing amount of territory in a very short time. More than once I have had them come tearing through my camp site in the middle of the night, and dogs being dogs they tend to stop and do quite a bit of sniffing around; then take off with an incredible racket. On Sunday the hunters spend most of the day rounding up the pack which by then can be anywhere on the mountain.
Fun if you don't need any sleep.

Last edited:
Maybe not as different as you think--the Shawangunks (NY) are the same rock formation as the Seneca Rocks... http://cliffmama.com/blog/about-gunks-geography-geology/

BTW, the George Washington National Forest (just to the E) is also nice.

Doug

That is true as I have been in both over the years, but WV high country has a unique mix of both southern and northern forest & wildlife.
Down in the valleys are hardwood forests typical of Mid Atlantic/southern regions, and as you drive up higher, you will get a progression of forest types with deep dense black spruce forests on top of the mountains. The area was heavily logged at the turn of the 20th Century, and much of it burned afterwards (Cinders from the Shay steam trains being one source). So there are areas with big balds - either open grass lands or dense huckleberry/blueberry fields. In among those you find both northern and southern species of flowers, trees etc. Big bogs and beaver ponds, So it does have a different feel with all the stuff mixed in.

Interestingly some of the areas I 'discovered' in the 70's have grown enough that the views are beginning to fade. There is a concerted effort on the part of the WVa Highland Concervancy and other organizations to replant some of balds with spruce trees, and a heroic effort is being made to save the old Hemlock forests in the stream canyons.
One place I would really recommend is Otter Creek, spending a couple of days BPing the old rail road grades on both sides of the creek canyon. It's a perfect mix of the denser forest types typical to the area, then visit Dolly Sods (during the week!). The northern half of the Sods is open rolling grass lands interspersed with the spruce groves and some pine groves planted in the 30's.
The southern half (Red Creek and surrounding trails) are fine deep hardwood and hemlock forests.
It's only about 3 hours from me.
Kinda wish I was only 3 hours from ADK though!

Did neglect to mention Seneca Rocks - spent enough time roping up and down that some time ago!