Google map showing peaks on lists: NE4Ks NEHH and NEFF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I put together a master Google map some time ago but then forgot about it. Then a request came up in another group about Maine Prominent peaks and I dug it up.

The map displays the peaks from various lists according to a pull down menu. When a particular list is displayed, you can click on a particular peak and get the appropriate info. This in oriented to my hiking, since I built the map for myself. But it should have value for anyone interested in what's there and how one particular peakbagger did the peaks. You can also click on a link in the infoWindow which will bring up another map, just for that particular peak. This single peak map could be useful in your own planning for a climb (it's a topo map by default). Alternatively, you can bring up my report for when I climbed it.

If you're interested in customizing it for your own hiking, talk to me. A good understanding of JavaScript would be helpful.

Here's the map for the 4Ks: GMap for NE 4Ks

From this map you can get the other lists by using the drop down menu in the upper left of the map. You can save the URLs for each list, but you really need not do that, since you can get to any list from any of the starting points. The map type is also a drop down in the upper right. This includes the new Canadian Vector topo maps when you're on the boundary.

Note: The US Topo tiles come from the Terraserver which is occasionally unreliable. I tried to get a user key to use MyTopo, but they went commercial. Besides the Canadian tiles, the rest are normal Google types.

PS: I developed the map on Mozilla Firefox, but it also works fine on Chrome, Safari and Opera. IE can be flaky - sorry, they don't pay me enough :)

Last edited:
I had no idea the AMC had brand named the 100 Mile Wilderness.
I noticed that the other day as well. I believe it is fairly recent too because I have a screen shot of Google Maps (I have a similar map to Papabear's with my NEHH progress) that was my desktop background and it does not have "Appalachian Mountain Club 100 Mile Wilderness Conservation Area" on it. I took the screen shot in November, the last time I updated my progress.

Tim

Very cool, thanks!
On another note - I had no idea the AMC had brand named the 100 Mile Wilderness.

A few years back they purchased a bunch of land in that area including a township (I think) adjacent to the Katahdin Iron Works area. I think they gave that name to their land, and would not (or I should say "should not") imply that they "own" the term. Any such claim on their part wold surely fail due to prior usage. And quite specifically they don't own the actual trail corridor, which is federal land.

Pb

If you click on it (in Google Maps) the info block has a link directly to the Maine Initiative page at outdoors.org, which makes me suspect this was simply hand-added by someone at the AMC as a point of interest (POI) to Google. It's also not actually on the trail, either. It's no closer than 4 miles.

Last edited:
Hmmm....reminds me of my Garmin topo.....which thankfully doesn't require any javascript to make!

peakmap.jpg