Man Claims Bear saved him from Mountain Lion Attack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could this be a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend?" In any case, he's lucky considering all the claws in play. :D

"self described naturalist"... he musta enjoyed getting in touch with nature then, yes!? :eek: or does this mean he was hiking a-natural; maybe this prompted this alleged attack.

"self described naturalist"... he musta enjoyed getting in touch with nature then, yes!? :eek: or does this mean he was hiking a-natural; maybe this prompted this alleged attack.
There is a big difference between a 'naturist' (the original article's term - aka a nudist) and a 'naturalist' (Scotzman's misquote). Sorry to call you out bro...

What an awful thought. Encountering not just one predator but two enormous ones.

Kudos to the bear. :cool:

"Foy noted that Biggs claims to have survived mountain lion attacks three times in his life but said there is no official report of such attacks, the Post reports. The newspaper says Biggs is no fan of the DFG, calling them 'the Gestapo.'"

And now you know the rest of the story ...........

I am eagerly anticipating the lab's blood report. :D

I think it would be terrible to have been attacked by lion, saved by a bear, and have no one believe you. Until proven otherwise I will give him the benefit of the doubt. It's quite a story if it's true.

Last edited:
I am eagerly anticipating the lab's blood report. :D
Some real physical evidence, as apposed to speculation and innuendo...

I think it would be terrible to have been attacked by lion, saved by a bear, and have no one believe you. Until proven otherwise I will give him the benefit of the doubt. It's quite a story if it's true.
I too will suspend my judgement/opinion and will consider it to be undetermined until there is some believable evidence. Improbable events do occasionally occur.

Doug

Some real physical evidence, as apposed to speculation and innuendo...

Well, the report of a state game warden isn't exactly speculation and innuendo. Lack of corroborating evidence is as important as evidence.

State game warden Josh Brennan said he examined Biggs' wounds and found it unlikely a mountain lion bit or clawed him. Brennan confiscated the hiker's backpack and sent it to the Department of Fish and Game's forensic lab, where scientists will test the blood on the pack for DNA and also examine the cut marks and puncture holes to see if they are consistent with those that might be made by the claws or teeth of a mountain lion, according to DFG.

In Brennan's report, he said Biggs' injuries to his arms "were completely scabbed over," not consistent with a recent bite or being clawed, and found "no physical evidence to substantiate an attack, on the clothes, or any injury consistent with a lion attack, from last Monday."

San Francisco Chronicle - 04/01/2102

But it will be interesting to see what the blood on the pack turns out to be.

The results are in ...

"As you know, the backpack was brought to our lab for testing and we got the results back yesterday," she said. "There was a very small amount of blood on the pack, and the results showed that it was human blood."

Macintyre said there was no indication of any lion or bear blood present on the pack and the test found no saliva or even a single hair was present on the backpack, and it was clean of any dirt with only one tear (less than approximately 1/2").

Macintyre told the Post when a typical mountain lion attacks a human, the front paws grab the shoulders, the back paws dig into the lower back and they bite down on the head. Had Biggs been attacked by a lion, the backpack would have more damaged to it. There also would have been hair and saliva on the pack, Biggs provided DFG.

"All of the evidence -- the lab results, a study of the scratches on Mr. Biggs' arm and a thorough investigation at the scene -- is inconsistent with a mountain lion attack.

No lion, bear blood found on Biggs backpack