I-93 Exit 34B (Cannon Tramway) CLOSED no access to Tram parking, KRT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Exit 34B, the Cannon Tramway and Kinsman Ridge Trail parking lot, is CLOSED. More specifically, I-93 detours all traffic in both directions off the highway through the exit ramps to allow for work to be done on that bridge. The turnaround under the highway, AND THE DRIVEWAY INTO THE PARKING LOT, are signed "authorized vehicles only" and have large barricades in place.

511 website says "long term bridge construction project."

People have been stopping at the stop signs, but given the way the barricades are set up I think the intention may have been for people to maintain speed (posted at 30mph) down and up the ramps and perhaps they'll cover the stop signs at some point. I believe that may be why the Tram parking lots are barricaded off - to not risk an accident from people entering or leaving the highway. Certainly traffic will not be allowed to go under the bridge during the course of the bridge work.

Northbound traffic destined for Lafayette Campground / Lonesome Lake Trail should turn around at the next exit, 34C.

Parked at Echo Lake

I climbed the KRT Saturday, found the situation as MichaelJ describes. I parked at Echo Lake and took a short walk along the bike/snowmobile trail back to the Tramway area - where I found a handful of cars that had simply driven through the barriers and parked. Once the Echo Lake Beach opens they'll charge to park, so I would pick another lot.

KRT was barebootable/microspikable except for the ice along the steeps, where microspikes really weren't sufficient descending. Narrow monorail forms especially where the trail evens out, past the cliffs and through the sag. Gorgeous day to be out.

I parked at Echo Lake and took a short walk along the bike/snowmobile trail back to the Tramway area - where I found a handful of cars that had simply driven through the barriers and parked. Once the Echo Lake Beach opens they'll charge to park, so I would pick another lot.
There is a road on the W side of the lake from Peabody Slopes to the Tramway, which you can walk/drive? from Peabody Slopes

I was able to speak with a project manager today. Hikers are allowed to park in the tramway lot, and the road to the lot did have barricades but the lane as you turn off the exit was open. If coming from the south, I would recommend going to exit 34C and turning around and come back to 34B.
When you leave use caution cause there are no more stop signs and the SB traffic comes through without hinderance, other than 30 mph speed limit. The manager said they did not want vehicles getting off the NB exit and taking a left under the bridge..on my way back from work yesterday I did see a vehicle come out, come under the bridge and take a left to get back north..but the workers were done for the day at that time..be careful !! Lefty E