Hiker Falls into Tuckerman Crevasse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Last edited:
How can one respond but by saying "No!" How awful. How very sad. And then send loving wishes out into the world for family and friends and ask for protection for future enthusiasts.

Last edited:
I do not remember the date,but I believe a young woman had the same thing happen years ago.Not sure if the spot is the same,but it was on the east side.The incident is described in "not without peril" http://www.ohcroo.com/caggiano.cfm a general link to the book....Thoughts and prayers for our hiker brother...

Last edited:
Weird, I just finished the Joe Caggiano chapter of Not Without Peril approximately... 20 minutes ago. Odd that you would link that page.

Good luck and best wishes to the SAR/rescue team, the hiker and their family.

thanks for the link. I have been trying to follow this story since hearing of it last night. I pray for all involved: the person missing, their family and the rescuers involved. God, be with them all.

Press reports have been about as consistent as usual regarding the location, often within a single article: "the lower half of the ravine"... "hiking down the northern side of the ravine"... "between Lunch Rocks and the Lip".

Given mention of a rock band and a 50' crevasse with flowing water, I'm guessing the crevasse was on the headwall, perhaps below the Lip. Maybe he intended to hike around to the Boott Spur cut-off (from the summit or the Alpine Gardens area) and instead slipped over the Lip?? Or else "northern flanks" is just a press-garbled version of "north-facing slopes"??

Press reports have been about as consistent as usual regarding the location, often within a single article: "the lower half of the ravine"... "hiking down the northern side of the ravine"... "between Lunch Rocks and the Lip". QUOTE]

And in addition to inconsistent information, remember NOT to read any reader comments. Whenever I forget my "rule" on that I only add to my frustration.

Am reasonably sure I know where that crevasse is located. In the summer, as you're working your way up the Tuckerman Ravine trail, you'll notice the brook on your left as you start the steep ascent of the headwall. That brook is the headwaters of the Cutler River, and creates beautiful cascades over the headwall. During the winter you can see the ice begin to build up near the lip of the ravine, and with good views of it from Lions Head. By spring, there's massive amounts of ice and snow which have accumulated, and as the lower supports begin to melt, a crevasse/bergshrund opens up, and is a most treacherous place to fall into. It's deadly.

I don't know for certain this is where this fellow slipped, however, as the news accounts I've read this far haven't included photos of the location.

Am very sorry to hear that this crevasse may have claimed yet another victim.

...the brook on your left as you start the steep ascent of the headwall. That brook is the headwaters of the Cutler River, and creates beautiful cascades over the headwall. ...

I believe this is what you are talking about, Kevin?

2492147170097994563S600x600Q85.jpg

Tim

Year round that section's not a nice place, and yet the trail attracts so many. That there aren't more accidents and/or warnings about the footing certainly surprises me.

I believe this is what you are talking about, Kevin?

Tim

It is, Tim. Am quite sure the big ice flow you can see developing in late fall/winter is in the upper left of the photo.

Until the ice has melted in the late spring/early summer, I personally give the broad area above it a very wide berth. Lots to be said for taking the Crawford Path to the summit while it's at its most dangerous.

Year round that section's not a nice place, and yet the trail attracts so many. That there aren't more accidents and/or warnings about the footing certainly surprises me.

Tuckermans like many similiar ravines has its share of objective dangers, this time of year is imo the most dangerous. I believe the forest service and the AMC post more then enough warnings in regards to these dangers. Alas like signs saying "buckle up" not everybody heads the warnings. You have to also consider this crowd in the spring has alot of skiers with little mountaineering skills, climbing the headwall in ski boots carrieing ski's with little mountaineering experience lends itself to accidents.
All the above being said, I have no idea if any or all of this relates to the current loss person, frankly at this point, I just wish he was ok regardless.

What a terrible accident.

This is shot of the area in mid July 2007.

Last Ice in July.jpg

Edit: Thanks to updated info from the UL posted by Tim, "The crevasse in question is not the historic crevasse closer to the Headwall area that most skiers know as “The Waterfall.”

This pic shows the remnants of the snow at the base near the waterfall.

Last edited:
Norman was a participant on one of my hikes over Halloween last fall. He stood out for being stunningly brilliant, and also for his advice to avoid going into a position for the money. Rather, he suggested, one should only go into a position for the intellectual challenge.

He ran a company trying to make hearing devices that would help solve some kind of impairment, and the science behind it sounded very interesting.

Terrible loss, this.

Brian

Latest update: http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120404/NEWS07/704049967

Noteworthy excerpts:

But the unusually warm weather two weeks ago has caused numerous crevasses to open up. Since then, more than 2 feet of snow has fallen and covered up hazards.

The crevasse is about halfway between the Lunch Rocks and the Lip, where pitches can be as steep as 45 degrees.

The sustained pitch is 40 degrees, making it difficult for anyone who falls to gain footing.

The crevasse in question is not the historic crevasse closer to the Headwall area that most skiers know as “The Waterfall.”

In a Tuesday web post, Lane said the Lip is “truly a ‘no-fall' terrain,” and recommended avoiding the Lip entirely.

Tim

Last edited: