Hiker Falls into Tuckerman Crevasse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so saddened by this story, yet wondering: WMUR said Tuckerman Ravine is closed. Is this so? I don't think I could bring myself there to watch as I have other years or ski if I was so inclined, but I hadn't seen anywhere else that the ravine was off limits.

WMUR said Tuckerman Ravine is closed. Is this so?

The trail from the ravine floor to Tuckerman junction above the headwall is closed, as it is every year once the crevasses start opening. In which case access to the summit is via Lion Head.

The ravine itself is never really closed, I don't think. Although, there are certainly times when it is ill-advised to be in the ravine. Like during times of extreme avy danger, for example.

Last edited:
Check out our own Kevin Talbot's photo which features the same spot with the snow arch still in place:
http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/KDTalbot/38?gallery=

In searching for it, I found this very cool classic (no way I would have crawled in there):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I...st_14,_1862,_by_Soule,_John_P.,_1827-1904.jpg
I kind of feel wrong posting this in this thread, but here is a little vid I shot from under the snow in this area last year.

[video=vimeo;25423285]http://vimeo.com/25423285[/video]

Being a Regular up there, I have to admit that falling into the waterfall hole or a crevasse in that area of The Lip and getting trapped under the snow pack by rushing water is something my nightmares have been made of in the past. Sorry to here about another accident like this.

As far as the area being closed The Advisory says nothing about it.

Last edited:
The advisory doesn't say it's closed, but it does have this big, bold warning:

Taking into account the extent of crevasses, the severity of the consequences, and the inability to assess the hazard, the greater Lip area, which includes a section of the summer hiking trail should be avoided entirely. As we have discussed in past weeks this is also true for the heavily crevassed areas in the northern portions of the Center Bowl underneath the headwall ice, Lip and areas towards the Sluice all the way down to the Ravine floor.

That warning is a change from the past. In the past they would post this section of trail CLOSED at both ends until it was thawed out. Of course some folks would ignore it.

That warning is a change from the past. In the past they would post this section of trail CLOSED at both ends until it was thawed out. Of course some folks would ignore it.

The trail IS closed, and posted as such. The avalanche advisory is for folks who intend to go off-trail, i.e. skiers and climbers.

DSCF1073small.jpg
This is from April 2008 and shows the Lunch Rocks at bottom, and a line of skiers hiking up the Headwall, with several crevasses showing. Perhaps he fell into one of these?
(My friend nearly fell into one that gave way underneath him.)

97, headwall ice caves.jpg
Old picture from late-July, 1997, showing the snow caves that form as the ravine melts out.

don't forget, snowboarding in june, on the snow arch!

Check out our own Kevin Talbot's photo which features the same spot with the snow arch still in place:
http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/KDTalbot/38?gallery=

In searching for it, I found this very cool classic (no way I would have crawled in there):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I...st_14,_1862,_by_Soule,_John_P.,_1827-1904.jpg

I've actually been on this last piece of sluice with even less, def. no fall zone!

[video=vimeo;12416647]http://vimeo.com/12416647[/video]

Remarkable just how much more snow there appears to be when you put a person out there for perspective!

short vert. that day, prolly 250-300..

the choke was sketchy thin/undermined, so started below.. 3 days prior the run offered 450vert. basically sluice cliffs to the floor..

Cool picture - but I can't really figure out what's what in this pic - they are *inside* it?

HI Becca,

I believe the photographer is inside the snowcave looking out at people outside. The dark ripples on the top of the pic is snow above him. It was hard to see at first.

Today's Boston Globe contains a profile, including photo, of the late Norman Priebatsch, who was a remarkable man. (I attach no link because I think the Globe now requires a subscription for on-line access. I read a paper copy.) It sheds little new light on his accident, except to note that he had skied Tuckermans many times, but decided to lead a hike that day because he thought conditions too dangerous for skiing. He was an accomplished outdoorsman and in training to run his 18th Boston Marathon.

I think that any accident in "our" mountains brings the possibility of a sad outcome for a fun day outside in the hills closer to home for many of us. We all see enough "accidents waiting to happen" and are surprised at the number of times ill-equipped people get away unscathed. That makes it all the worse when one of the lost is a remarkable person and also one who is experienced.

It also makes us want to know more about what happened and why. I'm not necessarily writing about this sad event, but more in general with the following comments: Were they on their way up or down? (If coming down, that's always so much more difficult.) Did they have the right equipment for what they were doing? Perhaps the answers to these questions don't come out to the public because when there is loss the answers are so private. What's done is done, telling all won't bring them back, just cause more anguish.

I don't know anyone who hikes who is not heartsick about what happened last Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Today's Boston Globe contains a profile, including photo, of the late Norman Priebatsch, who was a remarkable man. (I attach no link because I think the Globe now requires a subscription for on-line access. I read a paper copy.) It sheds little new light on his accident, except to note that he had skied Tuckermans many times, but decided to lead a hike that day because he thought conditions too dangerous for skiing. He was an accomplished outdoorsman and in training to run his 18th Boston Marathon.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...during-hike/w7xqgv7wvwgSoRwXHPZOMP/story.html

Here is the publicly available excerpt.

Light snow fell Sunday afternoon on the southeast side of Mt. Washington as Boston entrepreneur Norman Priebatsch and his son Seth hiked icy Tuckerman’s Ravine, a raw alpine ski mecca in New Hampshire. Mr. Priebatsch who had skiied the ravine many times, declared the sport too dangerous that day with the early thaw. Instead, he led Seth and two friends on a hike. Gazing out over the White Mountains, they asked him what was the most spectacular place he had ever seen on his worldwide travels. “We’re right there now,’’ Mr. Priebatsch replied. Minutes later, Mr. Priebatsch slipped and fell at least 100 feet into a crevasse. Rescuers could descend only 50 feet before the opening narrowed and conditions became too unsafe to continue the search.

At least he died in what he considered to be the most spectacular place on earth. I hope when I go someone can say the same about me.

I think that any accident in "our" mountains brings the possibility of a sad outcome for a fun day outside in the hills closer to home for many of us. We all see enough "accidents waiting to happen" and are surprised at the number of times ill-equipped people get away unscathed. That makes it all the worse when one of the lost is a remarkable person and also one who is experienced.

It also makes us want to know more about what happened and why. I'm not necessary writing about this sad event, but more in general with the following comments: Were they on their way up or down? (If coming down, that's always so much more difficult.) Did they have the right equipment for what they were doing? Perhaps the answers to these questions don't come out to the public because when there is loss the answers are so private. What's done is done, telling all won't bring them back, just cause more anguish.

I don't know anyone who hikes who is not heartsick about what happened last Sunday afternoon.

I was leaving wildcat at the time the accident had taken place(aprox 3:30pm) I would assume that any seasoned hiker would be heading down and not up at this time of the day. Also at this time the mountain was clouded by a decent snowstorm that rolled in that afternoon. This is indeed a sad event. When these accidents are usually discussed here its about an inexperinced under prepared person and its easy to say this would never happen to me.
In this case this gentleman was no stranger to the terrain and had years of experience. I dont understand why the didnt descend lions head ? Maybe they were looking for a bit of a challenge? I feel for his family and friends and I hope they recover him soon, so he can have the burial he deserves.

I was leaving wildcat at the time the accident had taken place(aprox 3:30pm) I would assume that any seasoned hiker would be heading down and not up at this time of the day. Also at this time the mountain was clouded by a decent snowstorm that rolled in that afternoon. This is indeed a sad event. When these accidents are usually discussed here its about an inexperinced under prepared person and its easy to say this would never happen to me.
In this case this gentleman was no stranger to the terrain and had years of experience. I dont understand why the didnt descend lions head ? Maybe they were looking for a bit of a challenge? I feel for his family and friends and I hope they recover him soon, so he can have the burial he deserves.

A very wise man once told me, the most overused and overvalued question is Why?