New WMNF Schedule of Proposed actions just posted

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psmart

Reaction score
The USFS has just posted the new Schedule of Proposed Actions (SOPA) for the WMNF. Many of the projects deal with damage caused by tropical storm Irene, including:

Temporary stepping-stones at damaged bridge on 19 Mile Brook Trail
Repairs to Pemi Eastside road/trail, including 1/2 mile relocation
Repairs on Nancy Pond Trail, including up to 1/2 mile of relocations
Repairs to Pine Bend Brook Trail
Sabbaday Falls Trail: Repairs within the day-use area and further up the trail
Repairs to Signal Ridge Trail
Replacement of 5 bridges in the Cutler River Drainage (Tuckerman's and Huntington Ravines)
Construction of a permanent replacement for the Route 302 bridge over Sawyer River

It's worth noting that the FS is hoping to make a decision on most of the projects by June so they can be implemented this summer. It's going to be a busy season!

A number of storm-damaged trails are also notably absent from the list, including the Presidential-Dry River Trail and the Greeley Ponds Trail, which are still officially closed.

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2012-04.html

Last edited:
This will make certain people happy :) "reestablish 0.25 miles of Pine Island Trail"

Anyone know more about where the Loon Mountain beginner area would go?

Interesting that there's no mention of Sawyer River Road itself.

I believe it will be in this area, skiers left of the lower part of Cruiser. New trails off the little ridgeline the trail, "Escape Route" follows.

Ah, that makes sense looking at the aerial and at the Loon trail map. I'd never realized before that Loon has barely any beginner terrain, and none on the South side. Snubber, Bear Claw, Little Sister, and the carpet area are it. Having a beginner area on the South side will really help disperse people.

At Waterville, the extra trails between Psyched and Valley Run have been proposed for a long time (and it claims approved since 1999). If you look at the Green Peak proposal, these trails and glade are in the triangle of woods near the center of the map where the "2360" and "2680" are printed.

The Green Peak expansion is new to me. Looking at the map (PDF format) I admit that it looks like a nice, compact extension that the ski area could really use. It's not widely spread out like Loon's South Peak, it's tucked right in there with the rest of the ski area. I can see why they want to do it. I'd have to look at the site or at least photos to get a real sense of whether this is something I'd back or not.

Its interesting to see the Northern PassWMNF crossing listed. I expect that will raise some public interest.

The Berlin land swap makes a lot of sense, its surrounded on all side by the Jericho ATV park.

I would hazard a guess that it is passable by vehicle at this point. I saw it under the snow this winter and there is a bit of a depression where it was washed out, but since it has been built up, I would presume it is also graded. Just a guess though.

Tim

Can Sawyer river road be opened as is? Or is it not drivable in its current condition?

The re-grading that was done in the fall repaired a significant amount of the damage, but it left a significant dip in the road, and I don't know if it will be considered safe for public vehicle use.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll need to see if they open it when they open the rest. I was thinking that they would open the roads earlier, but not sure if they will. Have been watching their website.

Keith

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the Wild River Road and Campground...course I may just take a 10 mile ride to the Andro to ask in person, but if anyone had info ahead of time thats good.!!

I was able to stop into the Androscoggin Ranger Station..Wild River Rd. and the campground most likely will not be open until around July 4th, 2012....
I was told the Wild River Trail and the Highwater Trail suffered a lot of damage, and of course the Hastings Bridge is gone..the info came from Ms. Stewart..Lefty E