Following a friend on the AT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
My friend Nate is starting his journey of hiking the AT!

He is posting on trail journals and I am going to try to follow him there, and try to get some trail magic to him when I can.

The link to his journal is http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=371679

In case anyone else would like to travel along with him on his way!

Thanks for posting. I'll be watching as Nate "Floats" along. ;)

Yes...thanx. I like following thru hiker adventures.

he is doing great! and for a 20 year old kid in super shape already ~ he should be getting stronger out there!
Hum, maybe the first trail magic I manage for him should be trailside rootbeer floats...
;)

ok, I have to say, I am so proud of Nate!

His entries in the journal are getting even better and he is learning so much about life, himself and this little marble we call home.

I may perhaps be a smidge biased... with him being the closest thing to a son I will ever have and all... :rolleyes:

But really, if you want to follow along with someone on their AT adventure, he is doing amazing, and reading his journal will put a smile on your face ~ Promise!!

And do sign the guest book and give him some encouragement please!
He isn't showing it, but those big miles must be taking a toll on his morale...
It is a whole different game now with instant access to the outside world and all.
Personally I am on the fence about which is the better journey, instant access or not.
Well, maybe my mind is made up on that, but kids like Nate/Float who never knew the difference may feel differently...

He is 1/3 of the way home and I am sending care packages.
For those of you who have done the AT or long distance hikes, what are some interesting suggestions for care package surprises?!
I sent a few along with the last care package, looking for some other ideas and suggestions...

I hope to hike some miles with him when he gets a little closer... maybe the first 100 or so miles of the Long Trail would be a nice break and I could train to try to keep up with him. 40 miles is day a a little ;) over my personal ability...

He is 1/3 of the way home and I am sending care packages.
For those of you who have done the AT or long distance hikes, what are some interesting suggestions for care package surprises?!
I sent a few along with the last care package, looking for some other ideas and suggestions...

In addition to pure calories, IMO the best thing a thru-hiker can open in a care package is a new pair of socks (and liners) and a small vial of medicated foot powder. He'll feel like a new hiker.

treats!

Yes, new socks are wonderful! So are homemade brownies/cookies! If you have access to a Trader Joe's, any treats from there were always awesome!! (nuts, dried mango, crystallized ginger, choc. covered espresso beans.....any flavorful lightweight calorie dense non trail foods) I love sending care packages and try to remember that when the package is being picked up, they more than likely have access to a store, so they can buy candy bars, etc. (this was never made clear to my gram.......as she mailed us bottled water!!! Thank goodness for flat rate shipping!!) but homemade treats are hard to find and ohhhhh so much fun to share with other hiker friends! I always wrap brownies in aluminum foil, then in a ziploc freezer bag to keep the treat from tasting like a cardboard box. Ibuprofen is always appreciated. If he has a stove, a Natural high meal or two are a nice change to the mashed potatoes or lipton sides he's probably eating nightly. Mary Janes Farm makes a "Curry in a Hurry" meal that is amazingly flavorful! Depending on where he is, a giftcard to an upcoming store/outfitter/motel is a sweet score too! Basically.........anything in a care package is appreciated and awesome and I'm sure he'll love it! happy trails to him!

homemade brownies/cookies!.........Depending on where he is, a giftcard to an upcoming store/outfitter/motel is a sweet score too! Basically.........anything in a care package is appreciated and awesome and I'm sure he'll love it!

I second the brownies! Always my favorate on long hikes. A giftcard to a local restaurant (Hiker friendly, of course) in an upcoming trail town can be awesome magic. Hope he's having a great time.

Float

I've been following Float's journal up to his last post,which was on the 20th. Is he still on the AT?

yes, Float/Nate is still hiking!
He came home for a few days to watch his sister graduate from High School. ;)
He packed up and headed back down yesterday afternoon to start up where he left the trail.

He looks great and I've seen him eat more in the last few days than I've EVER seen him eat!

:)