A Wildcat-Carter Traverse with Carter Dome Round 2 Finish 4/1/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMOutdoors

Reaction score
On Sunday April 1st I finished my second round on Carter Dome. I took a unique approach, since it took an 8-peak weekend to get it done.
The Wildcat Ridge Trail on the way up was mostly free of snow. I bare booted past Wildcat D. 19 Mile Brook Trail and Carter Dome
Trail were mostly snow free, except at the their very tops, and Carter-Moriah had a generally even snow surface to work with.

Having only one car and no 100% definite route plan in place, it took a little creativity to end on Carter Dome. I car camped at Pinkham Notch
after hiking Whiteface, Passaconaway, and Hale the day before. Getting started, I got to experience the Lost Pond Trail...
P4010134.JPG

From Wildcat D, it was nice to get a nice view from my first peak on the day. It gave me a boost right at the beginning. I also got to warm up in the direct sun.
Before long I was at Wildcat A looking over to Carter Dome. Next I decided my path. I took the Wildcat Ridge down to 19 Mile Brook, and then hiked down to the
Carter Dome Trail. I then hiked up to Zeta Pass and out and back to South and Middle.
P4010155.JPG

From Zeta Pass, I had about 2 miles to go to my finish on Carter Dome and then out after a long hard day. No hiking for the next few weekends, so I wanted to get it done.
Carter Dome was special in its own way. There was weather coming in as I left Middle Carter, but it beat me to the Dome, as flakes were flying on my way.
It was quiet, didn't see many people all weekend, it was one of most solitary hiking weekends I've experienced. The driving snow over Carter Notch was a sight to see to end "winter".
P4010218.JPG

P4010227.JPG

For a more detailed account of my round 2 finish, you can read more here.

Attachments

• P4010134.JPG
    P4010134.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 87
  • P4010155.JPG
    P4010155.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 82