Jefferson from castle trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
hey all - Planning a good winter/hike/climb for next weekend. One of the options is jefferson - I have not done this (via castle) in winter - from summer experience - I wouldmthink this might actually get a bit technical -but I could be wrong, Anyone have any experience with this trail in snow/ice?

We may also hit it from grey knob trail ans whatever goes to summit from there. - not sure yet.

thanks

Last edited:
I have climbed Jefferson from the Castle Trail several times in winter conditions and once (Dec 29th, 2000) in full blown deep snow conditions. There is nothing technical about this route, but you certainly will need snowshoes and crampons (I would leave the ice axe at home). Large drifts do tend to accumulate between the Castles which are tough to get thru even with snowshoes in heavy snow snow conditions (which we are not experiencing right now).

I have never experienced much ice via this route, but last December we climbed Jefferson via the Gulfside, and there was so much ice that Kristi Yammagucchi could have done some triple lutzes at Edmund's Col!

Just keep an eye on the weather and you will be fine. This is a spectaular route, and if you end up with excellent weather, this will likely be one of the best hikes you will ever do. :)

I've been up that trail twice in winter, the first was a fiasco of the finest order. We only had two pairs of snowshoes for the four of us (long story) but that trail was already broken so we figured we'd be OK.

Except it stopped being broken about 2/3 the way up Mt Bowman and we ended up wading through 4 feet of unconsolidated snow. Got up to the Link junction and turned around.

The other time was to the summit in much less snowy conditions. We had snowshoes and never used them. Not technical, I don't think we even put our crampons on that day. It's a wild ridge, not a lot of fun in high winds.

-dave-