Peakbagger spreadsheet!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunbar

Reaction score
This is a silly spreadsheet I made for people who like peakbagging and statistics - I'm sure there's some of them hanging around here...

>> Download here! <<

What does it do?

06-statspage.jpg

It's an excel spreadsheet I made that can be used to record your hikes and track your progress on multiple peakbagging lists. I made it mostly for fun but have found it to be fairly useful when I'm working on a peak list.

It's simple to use and since the information is stored as an Excel spreadsheet it is easy to manipulate it to get whatver statistics you might want.

To get started, open the spreadsheet and make sure that macros are enabled. Then click on one of the images to add a hike to the log:

1-MAINSCREEN.jpg

Clicking on an image will bring up a new window - here you can enter information about the hike and select the peaks that you climbed.

02-Addpeakscreen.jpg

After hitting the Add Peaks button, the hike is first recorded on the hike log tab:

3-HIKELOGSCREEN.jpg

The data from the newest entry is added to the bottom of the list. This just provides a general description of the hike or anything else you want to remember. Since this is Excel this information can then be manipulated however you want - for example you can see that I added a cell for the total mileage and elevation in 2011.

Now for the good part - for whatever peaks you selected earlier, the peak is marked as completed for all peak lists that the peak is on. So if you selected Mt Washington it is marked as completed on the NH48, New England 67, and NE115 lists. It also looks at what date you entered and records the season and month when you climbed the peak. Lastly it adds the actual ascent date to the spreadsheet.

04-peaklist.jpg

This provides a nice visual layout of your hiking. Again, you can create custom fields for whatever statistic you want. In the picture below I added cells for Gridiot progress, total number of ascents, and progress on multiple rounds.

05-Customstatistics.jpg

Lastly you can flip over to the statistics tab and enjoy all the delicious pies that you see in the first picture!

Some notes:
- Requires macros to run - these may not work on the Mac version of Excel (can anyone confirm?)
- Covers most of the major peakbagging lists in the Northeast
- When checking for what season the hike was in, this spreadsheet uses a fixed date which may not correspond to the rules for a particular list. So if you hiked Mt Washington on March 21st, it may be recorded as a "Winter" climb - however, AMC rules might state that the official "Winter" season ended on the 20th. If this happens, just manually edit the NH48 sheet to reflect the correct season.

Sorry, I'm usually the Mac guy here but we don't have any MS Office products for the Mac. Since you use macros I have my doubts it will work on Numbers.

I tried this last night at home using Open Office, (with macros fully enabled), and it did not work. :(

I'm using Microsoft Office 2011/Excel and OS 10.6.6. I didn't go crazy with it, but I did enter a couple "fake" peaks and data, which seemed to work.

If you want statistics for zillions of things most of which you never thought of, try listsofjohn.com

Output is strictly in numbers not neat pie charts, though

This does look excellent, Dunbar. I'll have to take my hike data to work with me (on a slow day) and input it all.

I didn't realize the Jackalope ranged this far to the east, though! :D

Very sweet! I thought the excel spreadsheet that I have going myself (without macros) was crazy detailed, but this is awesome, and I can take some of the stat categories I have and put them right in, I think. This should be fun to play with when I get home. The effort is very much appreciated.

I want to post some of my stats to my blog soon, but want to work on them a little more first. I am trying to start keeping track of redlining percentages of all of the trails in the WMG, why not, and also things like percentages of hikes solo, and in certain months. The thing I will add now, is the percentage of multiple rounds, and every other list I'm working on.

Thank you!

Looks nice, I'm a bar graph guy though as I like seeing the elevation change. At this point, I'm done with most of the lists and working on the NH 4 season list, finishing the ADK 46 and since doing Owl's Head 12X is just too painful an idea, I'm just going to do 30 I like 12 x.

On another peakbagging list, I assume someone here has the New Hampshire NE67X12 license plate? I followed him from the 302/3 junction to the Route 112 exit of I-93.

Well done! This is an excellent and well organized spreadsheet.

I started entering my data and inadvertantly entered the wrong date into the macro. This populated several pages of excel data (with the wrong date and season) is there a way to edit the initial data entered into the macro as opposed to fixing my error manually?

Last edited:
Well done! This is an excellent and well organized spreadsheet.

I started entering my data and inadvertantly entered the wrong date into the macro. This populated several pages of excel data (with the wrong date and season) is there a way to edit the initla data entered into the macro as opposed to fixing my error manually?

Unfortunately no, it has to be done manually. Sorry!

After deep analysis, I decided to stick with my redline on a map and note the hike on the calendar hanging next to the refrigerator. However, I am about to reasses my method by viewing it through the prism of a glass of good bourbon ... somehow I expect my choice of record keeping will be affirmed.