Carter Notch road in the Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpat

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me if “Carter Notch Road” (on the east side of Wildcat Ridge in New Hampshire) is open in the winter?

I would like to know if I could get to the parking area near "Bog Brook Trail" via “RT 16B” and “Carter Notch Road”. Any help with this question would be much appreciated.

I haven't been up there for two years, but in the past the road was not plowed all the way to the trailhead, which is on a class VI road. The plowing stops where the class VI road begins. You have to park on the side of the road; not much room but possible. It only adds about 8 or 10 minutes to your hike.
It's not actually on 16B. When you get into Jackson, turn onto 16B at the Wentworth Hotel. Follow that up for about a mile past Eagle Mountain House, but continue straight ahead where 16B makes a hard right and over the Ellis River. Now you're still on Carter Notch Road. You'll see the trailhead for Black Mountain Trail on the right. Keep going up until you can go no further, you'll see the classVI road signage, etc. You may see another car or two, probably xc skiers.
This is a wonderful area. Bog Brook Trail into Perkins Notch is very quiet and pretty. I also like hiking the Wildcat River Trail up to Carter Notch, a nice alternative to 19 Brook Trail (also beautiful).
Happy Trails
Forestnome

Contact the Jackson Ski Touring Foundation. http://www.jacksonxc.org They groom the road for skiing past the point where it is no longer plowed and have a requirement on parking that you do not block the turn around for their shuttle bus. You can park at the ski area and take the shuttle if you want or park about 1/4 mile down the road where there is a parking area.

From the limit of plowing to the BB summer trailhead is about or just under one mile with a generally uphill grade. The BB trail is a winter ski trail and none of the skiers would appreciate it if you postholed your way up the trail. You might also inquire how they would react to snowshoes instead of skis although I don't suppose they can really tell you not to. Use of the trails that are normal summer hiking trails are free but if you get on to the Jackson Ski Touring trail system you need to purchase a trail pass.

Last edited:
fudd

This rabbitt I saw was 3 ft tall, ears 12 '' and had a look on his face like I have never seen before. Laugh if you want, I got close (20ft) and he was everything I describe. No game wardens would later confirm these rabbitts where out there, but this one certainally was, Elmer Fudd would have a run for his money.

sierra said:
This rabbitt I saw was 3 ft tall, ears 12 '' and had a look on his face like I have never seen before. Laugh if you want, I got close (20ft) and he was everything I describe. No game wardens would later confirm these rabbitts where out there, but this one certainally was, Elmer Fudd would have a run for his money.

Maybe the famous Jackalope!

Fred

I really like the Bog Brook Trail and I understand that skiiers don't like post holes or snowshoe tracks where they ski. Whenever I snowshoe on a trail where there is a ski track, I stay clear of the ski track out of courtesy. But the skiiers don't own the trails any more than snowshoers. Bcskier is correct to say that JSTF cannot kick snowshoers off the trail. In the WMNF, out of courtesy, I stay off of designated ski trails or I keep clear of their track. Many ski trails junction with normal hiking trails for long stretches. Even there I will stay clear of any tracks when snowshoeing out of courtesy.
There are many trails in the WMNF that become unusable in winter due to snowmobiles. I hope xc skiers understand that I won't have my options even further deminished by ski tracks. Skiers are free to ski on any hiking trail in the WMNF(except downhill on Tuckerman's Ravine Trail), but to even suggest that non-skiers stay off of a trail like Bog Brook is not appropriate.
Happy Snowshoeing!
Forestnome

forestnome said:
I really like the Bog Brook Trail and I understand that skiiers don't like post holes or snowshoe tracks where they ski. Whenever I snowshoe on a trail where there is a ski track, I stay clear of the ski track out of courtesy. But the skiiers don't own the trails any more than snowshoers. Bcskier is correct to say that JSTF cannot kick snowshoers off the trail. In the WMNF, out of courtesy, I stay off of designated ski trails or I keep clear of their track. Many ski trails junction with normal hiking trails for long stretches. Even there I will stay clear of any tracks when snowshoeing out of courtesy.
There are many trails in the WMNF that become unusable in winter due to snowmobiles. I hope xc skiers understand that I won't have my options even further deminished by ski tracks. Skiers are free to ski on any hiking trail in the WMNF(except downhill on Tuckerman's Ravine Trail), but to even suggest that non-skiers stay off of a trail like Bog Brook is not appropriate.
Happy Snowshoeing!
Forestnome

Well said Forestnome! Shared use trails are exactly that! Here in NJ,there are a few dedicated ski trails which were built for that purpose, but they are the type of trail that no one else would be likely to want to use anyway!

Fred

Carter Notch Road becomes the primary access point for the Prospect Farm section of the Jackson Ski Touring Foundation. JSTF directs a number of beginners to this area via their shuttle. As long as you stay off the tracks on snowshoes, you will have no problem accessing the Boggy Brook Trail. You may encounter a skier or tow on the BB trail, as it makes for a nice side adventure. As a skier and a sometimes snowshoer you'll certainly get a happy hello from me!

Parking is the real issue, up there. The lot down the road fills up very quickly as it only fits a handful of cars. In the spring it's a mud pit...not good times. They claim they tow along the road, but I've never seen it...wouldn't want to test it either. If you can take the shuttle, I would recommend it. Here's the schedule: http://www.jacksonxc.org/jstf_shuttle_schedule.htm

For comedy, hang out at the end of the groomed section/end of the plowed road and watch the "less experienced" skiers come down the trail. It's downhill to the end and provides excellent theatre. :D

Trailbiscuit,
Your attitude is refreshing. Thanks for the link to the shuttle schedule, added it to my favorites. I've parked on the side of the road up there before without being towed, but things change.