Trail Vandals at Pondicherry Refuge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
A sad occcurance leading to partial repair unfolded in Jefferson NH over the past week at the Mud Pond Trail in the Pondicherry National Wildlife Refuge.

http://fineartamerica.com/blogs/helping-hands-righting-a-wrong.html

We just so happened to have pulled into the parking area last Sunday as Lindsay was scouting sites to bring students for a field trip, when we noticed something looked wrong at the kiosk and a rope and sign closed off the trail entrance. We headed down anyways since we suspected what we feared the most, and sure enough were shocked at the extent of what had been done to the precious and beautiful board walk. Our hearts broke as one of our favorite spots that we watched over the past few years being transformed into this wonderful ADA resource, was shattered senselessly.

The intent of the destruction was so complete, that it seems a stretch that it was kids just hanging around and messing with things. I could not help but think that some of the anti-fed vitriol spilling over in Coos County, especially some very strong feelings and public statements being expressed towards the National Wildlife Service (mainly Umbagog), may be spillng over from dining table rants to teenage ears. Who knows why, and I'm sure the perpetrators never realized how they futher contributed to limiting access to natural wonders for persons with disabilities.

sad story/history of name?

It always makes me so mad when people just CAN'T leave nice things alone for others to enjoy. So intentially malicious! Very sorry to hear this.

I was drawn into the thread by the name Pondicherry. I looked on the site but can't find any info on why it would be called that. Well, there are ponds and it's near Cherry Mtn. Is there *any* connection to Pondicherry in southern India?

A sad occcurance leading to partial repair unfolded in Jefferson NH over the past week at the Mud Pond Trail in the Pondicherry National Wildlife Refuge.

http://fineartamerica.com/blogs/helping-hands-righting-a-wrong.html

We just so happened to have pulled into the parking area last Sunday as Lindsay was scouting sites to bring students for a field trip, when we noticed something looked wrong at the kiosk and a rope and sign closed off the trail entrance. We headed down anyways since we suspected what we feared the most, and sure enough were shocked at the extent of what had been done to the precious and beautiful board walk. Our hearts broke as one of our favorite spots that we watched over the past few years being transformed into this wonderful ADA resource, was shattered senselessly.

The intent of the destruction was so complete, that it seems a stretch that it was kids just hanging around and messing with things. I could not help but think that some of the anti-fed vitriol spilling over in Coos County, especially some very strong feelings and public statements being expressed towards the National Wildlife Service (mainly Umbagog), may be spillng over from dining table rants to teenage ears. Who knows why, and I'm sure the perpetrators never realized how they futher contributed to limiting access to natural wonders for persons with disabilities.