Mt. Tecumseh via Mt. Tecumseh Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: April 15, 2012

Trail Conditions: I started and finished at the ski area. The trail started dry. Summer dry. And it stayed that way for a while. I then saw patches of mud. Then at the last last brook crossing I started seeing ice. I barebooted for a while because I could bypass the ice or walk on it with ease (plus I had poles for support), but it started getting more consistent. After the junction the ice turned to snow, solid under, mushy on top. The summit loop (I ascend to the left and descent the right side), however, was mostly rock, roots, and dirt. All crossings were very easy.

Special Equipment Required: Microspikes were really helpful, especially in the upper reaches. Poles were also helpful.

Comments: This was my second hike of the day and I was racing the clock (unnecessarily as I later learned since the ascent only took 1:45 minutes and the descent only 50 minutes) so I put on microspikes about 3/4 of the way from the junction so I could make better speed.

I met two ladies on the way down that were kicking themselves for leaving their microspikes in their car. They were glissading via their glutes much of the way down they told me. :)

This was a fun hike on a pretty mountain, but it was late in the day and I was starting to get a bit tired.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH

Last edited: