Gourmet Hut Trip 2012 - Galehead Hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
So, after much back and forth, I am planning a Gourmet Hut Trip this year. The last one was back in 2009 and I have been nervous to try and pull it off now that we live in NJ.
However, I am going to brave it this year. Here are the details:

Who: The first 34 people to respond by email (AND follow up by sending me the money once I confirm your spot)
What: 2 nights lodging and 2 gourmet dinners and lots of fun friends both new and old
When: Saturday May 26 and Sunday May 27 (checkout is Monday morning May 28)
Where: Galehead Hut in NH
Why: cause we love mountains and we love food
How: see instructions below

First check out the venue at this link:
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/huts/huts-galehead.cfm

Then send me an email at [email protected] to let me know you are signing up.
Once I confirm by email that you are signed up for a spot, you send me a check (you don't officially have the spot until your check is in my hand)
The costs below will cover actual cost of 2 nights lodging + tax at Galehead Hut and estimated cost of groceries and supplies for 2 dinners

AMC Member rate $105 per person
AMC Non-Member rate $120 per person (The Hut costs an extra $15 per non-member . . . $7 + tax extra per night)

Once you sign up and I cash your check, there are NO REFUNDS . . . let me repeat . . . there will be NO REFUNDS.

IMPORTANT: The reason for the no refund policy is that after April 25th lodging costs are non-refundable and given the late date for my planning, we are almost at that deadline.

Looking forward to this event . . . should be lots of fun !!!

sli74

The Gourmet Hut trips are amazing - fun people, good hiking and GREAT food.

A few of us have even almost froze to death at Carter Hut for this food. :eek:

Not an event to be missed. If I could find a way to make it back across the pond for May, I would! :D

A few of us have even almost froze to death at Carter Hut for this food. :eek:

Oh, it wasn't *that* cold. :) :) :)

IMG_4506.jpg

Overnight it hit -15°F with 52mph winds recorded by the hut weather gages.

Roadtripper and unadogger . . . can't wait to see you both (MJ too :) )
Liza, thanks !!! We are REALLY going to miss having you there but there is still next year because if all goes well this year, maybe I will do it again.
MJ, brrr . . . wasn't it like minus 35 without the windchill one of the nights? That was a winter trip that none of us will ever, ever forget :D

BTW, there are 9 spots left and I will be cancelling any unclaimed spots on Wednesday . . .
YAY for food and mountains, can't wait.

sli74

MJ, brrr . . . wasn't it like minus 35 without the windchill one of the nights? That was a winter trip that none of us will ever, ever forget :D

I don't think so, but I don't have any notes in my album to confirm or deny. It was definitely a trip to remember, though!!!

I do know that the VFTT ADK Winter Gathering 6.5 got down to -35°F the first night. We set up camp at -24°F and then almost everyone went to the Jackrabbit. The second night bottomed out around -26°F, I chose to camp that night. I was by myself under many warm layers in your three-four season convertible tent that we had borrowed from you in Albany. The third night was around 0°F, most everyone came back and camped.