Grand Canyon End of April into May

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSunRa

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows what the level of bitting bugs are like at this time in the Canyon?

The end of April and the beginning of May is a great time of year to visit the Grand Canyon. It isn't as hot as it will be in June through September and there usually is little or no rain. In the summer there are daily thunderstorms. I have gone this time of year for a couple of 2 week visits and slept out on a pad without a tent just fine. It is a really beautiful, not to be missed place.

Attachments

• GC in Spring.jpg
    GC in Spring.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 139
I was there this time of year back in 2008. Don't remember any bugs, just lizards and snakes. There were still wildflowers around that year too.

Thank you all for the information. Really glad to hear that there's not to much concern about bug control.

Was wondering if anyone knows what the level of bitting bugs are like at this time in the Canyon?
Hope you made out OK. I just got back from a very extended mostly off-trail. Lots more gnats than I'm used to this time of year, and mosquitoes in that period just before the bats come to the rescue. By second week in May or so the bugs are usually mostly gone but late April there are always some. Trivial though, compared with New England.

Snow at the South Rim on the way down a few weeks ago or so. Maybe some late hatchings this year.

Also more scorpions than usual.