Hiking in Montana

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
We're in the early stages of looking at a visit to Montana this summer. One of the reasons is to go to Little Big Horn. What else is in that region that we should consider in way of hiking, backpacking? I imagine now that we would fly into Billings, but am not sure. I'd like to see Big Timber, where my grandmother taught school for a short while during WW I until the influenza outbreak. We enjoy camping, kayaking/canoeing, hiking. All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.

Definitely check out the Anaconda-Pintler wilderness - it is just north of Little Bighorn. It's a great section of mountains that gets very little attention so you don't get many crowds.

Here's pics from the two hikes I did there:

Goat Flat

West Pintler Peak

Not that you shouldn't see it (don't take this wrong); I just don't recall much to see there, so that shouldn't take too long.

Brian's "into" the battle. :)

Who knows what or where we'll end up this summer, but this is high on the list. How to make a better vacation out of it is the larger question.

You might want to check Reserve America for Forest Service cabins available for rental. These are in wonderful locations and there are usually nearby trails or remote gravel roads for exploration. Little Bear Cabin in Gallatin NF was a nice getaway with terrific views. It is adviseable to bring bear spray to these areas.

I haven't been to Little Big Horn or spent much time in that part of the state but can highly recommend Montana Ribs and Chop House in Billings, first suggested by a ranger at Pompeys Piller, a good stop for an historical perspective on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

You might like Sacagawea Peak just north of Bozeman and Madison Buffalo Jump has nice prairie trails southeast of Three Forks. Just north of Helena, the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness has trails and campsites, some accessed by boat on the Missouri River. Over 50 years ago there was a tragic forest fire in which several fire fighters lost their lives; the story of the survivor is a compelling one ... it is a story that lingers with me even more strongly than the beautifully harsh scenery.

I'd be happy to share details on these and other Montana destinations if you wish.

You're flying into Billings? How about Yellowstone. Even though most of it is in Wyoming, three of its entrances are in Montana. About three hours from Billings to Northeast gate of YNP.
Even if you didn't enter YNP, the drive alone is worth it.

Glacier National Park

I don't know how long you're going to be on the state or how much driving you want to do, but how about Glacier National Park. Gorgeous scenery, great hikes, some cool old lodges. I went about 15 years ago and loved it. Worth the trip....http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm :)

How long will you have and what time of year? The past three years (and again this year) we've flown into Billings and have spent time in the Beartooth Mountains and Yellowstone. I would highly recommend spending time in both - they are both beautiful and offer different things.

Yellowstone has such a variety of things to see and do - the wildlife, thermal features, hiking - but it comes with crowds. The Beartooths get a lot of people driving through (you should drive the Beartooth Highway - amazing!), but once you get on the trail, you can easily lose the crowds. The advantage of backpacking in the Beartooth wilderness is that you don't have to worry about designated campsites or getting permits like you do in Yellowstone. Cody is also a nice stop - the Buffalo Bill Museum is terrific.

We have several galleries posted that show different hikes/day trips/backpacks in this area:

MT/WY 2011 - Mt Washburn, wildlife, and a lot of geysers in Yellowstone, Bald Peak in Shoshone National Forest, Aero Lakes, Island Lake, fishing, scenery from Beartooths

Beartooths 2010 - Aero Lakes backpack, Republic Peak, Goose Lake, Becker Lake, Iceberg Peak hikes

YNP/Beartooths 2009 - Albino Lake, Martin Lake hikes in Beartooths

If you are looking for lodging, campsites, or permits in Yellowstone - check soon - as they often book up quickly. They get a lot of cancellations though, so you can call frequently to see if you can get something.

Many people combine the Tetons with Yellowstone - but hitting this will depend on how much time you have since you will spend some time at Little Big Horn and you are flying in/out of Billings.

Glacier NP and the Wind River Range (our preferred spot for backpacking) are beautiful as well, but quite a haul from Billings (but again, would depend on how much time you have).

A ton of options - you would have an awesome trip no matter what you choose!

You can't go wrong with Yellowstone, Glacier, or the Beartooths like the othes said. However, if you looking for something less crowded and off the beaten path check out the Tobacco Root Mountains which are around 30 miles NW of Big Sky. I did a geology field camp in the area and there is quite a bit of good hiking there and some beautiful tarns to take a dip in.

montana

well- this is a beautiful state with alot of what you want. Sounds like you will not want to commit to a long backpack, etc.- maybe best. First time there it's good to travel and get a feel for the place.

Here's some stuff in the SW corner of the state;

If you get a chance do visit Yellowstone. You can get off the beaten trail and visit the lesser seen areas as well as the geothermal stuff.

If you can drive these roads you will see something! Knockouts.
Chief Joseph Hyway
Beartooth Hyway. These are near to eachother-

To see some remnants of the mining industry of times past drive up Lulu Pass- (about three miles east of the NW gate of Yellowstone). High clearance vehicle needed or 4-wheel or alot of luck :)D)

Alot of great hiking in this area, campgrounds, too.

This is a nice day hike
Lady of the Lake Lake (not typo). RT=<5 miles.

There are really good maps available that show the fishing hiking and pack trails- put out by the state.

Hope you have as good a time as I did there. Post some photos if you get a chance.

Ditto what others have said - Yellowstone, Tetons, Beartooths, etc.

A bit closer to Little Bighorn Battlefield (which is fascinating!), the Bighorn Mountains are worthy of a few days. http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/bighorn/home Sheridan, Buffalo and TenSleep, WY, make for fun town destinations. (But steer clear of Gillette unless you're into open-pit coal mines and happen to be headed to Devil's Tower.)

Black Mountain, elev. 11,000+ feet, has a firetower on the summit and would be a good warmup 5-6 miler: http://www.summitpost.org/black-mountain/151831

The 62-mile Solitude Trail loop in the Cloud Peak Wilderness has been on my "list" for some time now. Cloud Peak itself, 13,000+ feet, is the high point of the Bighorn Range: http://www.summitpost.org/cloud-peak/150249 "Solitude" and "Cloud Peak Wilderness" just sound so inviting... :)

Medicine Wheel Historic Landmark is nearby: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_Wheel_National_Historic_Landmark

If you do venture west to Yellowstone, etc., I highly recommend you incorporate the Beartooth Highway (Red Lodge to Cooke City) into your plans. BTW, you will be very close to Granite Peak, the Montana high point...