Parkinson's and Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casual Hiker

Reaction score
Around 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with young onset Parkinson's (I am only 47). So far my symptoms are mild, just a slight tremor in my left hand/arm which is accentuated while shivering. After the diagnosis I climbed Pierce and Monadnock up Pumpelly just to see how it would feel, and I felt better while hiking than I did before.

Does anyone know of someone who was diagnosed with Parkinson's fairly young? I am looking for information, and I am curious how long I'll be able to hike. Being outdoors is a huge stress relief valve for me, and I'd hate to lose it! I'd really appreciate anything that you all can share about younger people hiking with Parkinson's. If any of you has Parkinson's and would be willing to talk I'd be grateful!

My life has truly been blessed, and I plan on making the best of this new phase of my life. I don't think God would want me to give up, and I would like to find some positive examples to look at and some advice on staying fit. My faith is keeping me positive, but I feel so ignorant on how to keep hiking safely and with all the challenges I now have.

Thought I would reply to you. I don't know anyone who was diagnosed that young, but if you felt better after hiking then before I would continue hiking as much as you can. I do think the tremor alone can go on for years. Sorry to hear your bad news, but I would keep doing whatever makes you happy as much as you can.

I feel so ignorant on how to keep hiking safely and with all the challenges I now have.

I also have no guidance nor do I know of anyone diagnosed as you have been (either a hiker or otherwise) but it seems you have a positive attitude which has to account for a huge percentage of your continued success hiking. You mention the "challenges you now have." My first thought is that you had these challenges previously, you just didn't know it. Kind of gives credence to the old adage that ignorance is bliss.

My mother had Parkinson's disease beginning when she was in her mid 50's in the 1960s. Her first symptoms were problems with equilibrium and balance, and they first thought she had an inner ear problem. Later the tremor started and the diagnosis was made. Back then, L-dopa was just becoming available and now there are a number of drugs available which help with the symptoms, although as you know the disease is progressive. The drugs make a huge difference. Symptoms are not the same every day, called the on/off syndrome. Planning ahead for activities was difficult since she would never know how she would feel till that day came. The rate of progression of the disease is usually slow, and symptoms vary with the individual patient.

You are the best judge of how you feel and what activities you are comfortable with. Just be careful and get out and do things you enjoy.

Good luck!

I have a friend who was diagnosed with Parkinsons a few years ago and now, in her early 60's, still guides skiing, biking and hiking trips. Your experience may vary.

If it were my health, I would look into clinical trials as a possible source of state of the art medicine as well as participation in the improvement of care for others that follow. Progress in medicine is terrific, researchers in Alzheimers for example feel that effective treatments are less than a decade away (today the best available medicine only slows the progress of the disease) and I expect there are parallels in Parkinsons.

Best wishes.

My heart goes out to you. My mother had Parkinson's, diagnosed in her mid 50s. She, too, was a hiker (it's where I got the hiking bug), but she didn't hike any more once she knew she had the disease; her balance and coordination were shot. In her case it progressed very rapidly. I hope you fare better as many folks do. My advice is hike while you can, as much as you can do it safely, and enjoy every minute of it. I imagine the adrenaline will help, as will just being out and doing what you love. May you have many, many hikes in your future.

Thanks for all the info and well wishes. It seems that experience is all over the place!

I plan on hiking as long as it is reasonably safe to do so. I generally hike alone (I am very slow), and that will probably have to change someday. In the meantime, I will keep plugging along the best that I can.

I think the best thing is to keep hiking and if need be on more and more well traveled trails.

SPOT may be a good idea for you. I've certainly considered it as I've gotten older and do some solo hikes and overnights. It would also be cool for family to see where I am too.

Who knows they may come up with a bio-activity-monitor-app someday.