cleaning the funk out of a camelback tube

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I pulled out my camelback and there's some nasty funk in the tube. I am looking for advice on how to clean it.

I sucked some Aquavit into the tube for a couple of days, hoping that would at least kill the whatever off, but if that worked, the tube didn't clear at all.

Any serious advice would be appreciated.

Brian

p.s. This certainly can't be the first time this question has been asked, but I wasn't able to find a previous thread on it.

I have used a mixture of vinegar and water (or lemon juice and water) into the platypus (camelback) and tube and there is a special small diameter brush one can use to brush out the funk...luckily I have a hiking partner that likes to do stuff like that!! Meanwhile, last piece of advice: switch to bottles!!! (like i did!!!) Lefty E

Never a bad idea to consult the manufacturer.

I never put anything but straight water in my Camelback. I usually hang it to dry when done, or if using it many days over a short period of time, store it in the freezer. I've been doing this for 15+ years for the cycling bladder and 6+ for the hiking bladder with not a spot of mold. I do wash with dish soap at the end of the season (transition to bottles for winter).

Tim

Clorox works well, let it soak. There are also kits sold for cleaning the tubes which resemble a long pipe cleaner.

A major down side to hydrations systems is the lack of cleaning ease. I dont carry anything except for water in mine as any other liquid tends to accelerate the crud buildup. That means I can be drinking plenty of water and no electrolytes. That has caught me in the past. Currently I carry an empty gatoraide bottle and mix up some Nuun at long breaks by filling the bottle from the bladder or a water source but its easy to not get enough.

I also use a mild bleach solution to clean out the crud. I do use sports drinks in mine so I regularly clean out with bleach. takes care of the crud quickly

Emptied and placed in the freezers always works for me. I use straight water with a little lemon juice. Once I had to do something for little funk (until I learned better care) I tried mild bleach solution but the taste of bleach remained like a bad memory.

Last edited:
I only use water in mine and let it air dry when I'm done. When it does start to get that crud in it I use the cleaning kit that I bought for it. Like Lefty E said, there is a small diameter brush on a long flexible handle for the tube and a bottle brush for the bladder. They work well for me with dish soap. I've been doing that for over 10 years and had no problems.

I have one that I use mainly for biking, sometimes hiking. I fill it with a 50/50 solution of Gatorade and water. I've only flushed the interior with hot water and washed the outside with detergent. BUT--when it does get funky enough to require more attention than that, I'll use the same treatment I do with my homebrewing equipment:

• 10 minute soak in B-Brite solution to break down crud, rinse with water

• Rinse with Iodophor solution to sterilize

B-Brite is a great cleanser used for brewing equipment. Iodophor is a iodine-based sanitizer that when used in the proper dilution, can be left to air dry without rinsing. It's used in the dairy industry as well. It will discolor plastic tubing, though, with use over time.

After the first round of Aquavit, I did a round of lemon juice. The funk is still there, but at least my nasal cavity is not closing now when I sip from it.

The problem with a Clorox/bleach solutin is that I have to draw the solution into the straw by sucking on the mouthpiece, and I'm a bit worried about doing that, for obvious health reasons.

Brian

I use clorox and water diluted 1:10. I take the bite valve off my tube so I can let the rinse water run continuously through the tube to rinse it.

After a time there is some discoloration of my tube which a pipe cleaner might remove (I've never tried), 'cause what doesn't kill you - makes you stronger. <tonque in cheek>:rolleyes:

Greetings all,

I pulled out my camelback and there's some nasty funk in the tube. I am looking for advice on how to clean it.

I sucked some Aquavit into the tube for a couple of days, hoping that would at least kill the whatever off, but if that worked, the tube didn't clear at all.

Any serious advice would be appreciated.

Brian

p.s. This certainly can't be the first time this question has been asked, but I wasn't able to find a previous thread on it.

Take the valve n tube off the bladder.

Just go to the local pet shop or home depot n get a new tygon tube. Tube is about 25¢/foot.

Othereise pull a cotton ball soaked with chlorox through via a wire or string n rinse well.

Last edited:
A few years back I was at a local outdoor retailer looking at the Camelback cleaning products. The sales clerk explained I could purchase the cleaner with the Camelback brand name on it or purchase Efferdent for lots less. He said they're both effective and do the same thing.

I purchased a huge box of Efferdent at Sam's Club and have been working with it ever since. It works great! I use six tablets at a time with warm water. Once in a while I need to push a brush through the tube but that's very seldom - not more than once a year. To initially fill the tube I usually just hold the bladder high and pinch the bite valve while holding it low and let gravity do the job.

Rinse everything out and go hike.