Be careful where you step in the woods...(Lethal traps found on Utah trails)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The traps are similar to devices made in the popular recent film The Hunger Games, an adaptation of a book by Suzanne Collins, in which teenagers in a post-Apocalyptic nation are pitted against each other in the wild in an annual, state-sponsored fight to the death.
The film has attracted controversy in some quarters due to its scenes of teenagers killing one another for sport." -- Hunger Games copycat traps found in Utah

There have been other examples throughout history of people who seek to kill others simply for the thrill of the act. Normal people like us might not understand that motivation in the least, but they're out there.

Hunger games is pretty tame compared to Battle Royale, a Japanese film with a very similar plot that is much more graphic.

Wicked smart posting it on Facebook!
At least Facebook is useful for something sometimes. Idiots cant help themselves.
Crazy story.

Disgusting law that if your intention is to kill or maim someone, and it's just dumb luck you don't, that it's only a misdemeanor.

Last edited:
That trap was first used in the movie "The Edge" with anthony Hopkins, although it wasnt very effective on the Grizzley bear, did piss him off though.

That trap was first used in the movie "The Edge" with anthony Hopkins, although it wasnt very effective on the Grizzley bear, did piss him off though.

Hopkins should have made a visit to Ship Trap Island for training.:rolleyes::)

These two guys are unbelievable. To think of doing this is sick. Who are they kidding using the excuse that they were setting it up for wildlife and why would they want to intentionally hurt an animal in the wild. Let the autorities take care of a dangerous wildlife problem.

It hits home since this occurred where hikers go.

Donna:)

[...] Who are they kidding using the excuse that they were setting it up for wildlife [...]

No kidding. They were set up for a head height strike... they must be big game hunters. A misdemeanor? Unbelievable. If a military-experienced person trained to detect booby traps didn't find them it's likely someone could have been killed, or at least maimed for life. Those bastards should be forced to stand under their own traps as punishment.

More than likely the perps were using the "structure" for some kind of illicit activity, possibly drug related. Mantrapping of various sorts has been common in areas where drugs are being grown or processed.

More than likely the perps were using the "structure" for some kind of illicit activity, possibly drug related. Mantrapping of various sorts has been common in areas where drugs are being grown or processed.
This structure was a half mile from a popular trailhead, in easy sight from the trail. It doesn't sound like it is a typical hideout used for illegal drug use.

I have been trained in identifying booby traps in the military and use to lead a lot of patrols and use to spot them with regularity. The funny part was many years after I got out of the service, I have spotted at least three different ones. One in NH, that was actually a people counter the FS put out all camoed up without trips wires (an optical device) but looking suspiciously like one of the military ambush devices I use to see. The other two were in CT and weren't man killers. They were early warning devices I spotted. After I looked them over, I continued on and found camps that people were living in. The trails that they were off of weren't marked trails on most maps. They apparently weren't doing anything illegal, just trying to keep people walking into their camp unannounced. Doesn't mean my blood pressure doesn't still go off the scale when I see trip wires.

Keith

Oh, and let me point out that tripwires are not usually that hard to spot, especially by people that don't really know how to set booby traps. Virtually nothing in nature is linear. It is not unusual to actually see the tripwire which is a linear feature. The trick is less seeing it than training yourself not to ignore it. The thickness of the wire is determined by how hard it needs to pull the trigger. So if the device has a very, very light trigger, then the wire can be very very thin and will be more difficult to spot. Don't ignore linear features going across your walkway.

Keith