Monadnock 4/13/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
A little late on this trip report, but this was a beautiful Friday for a hike. Parked at Monadnock State Park and for all the times I have ever hiked this mountain (I think 4 times previously), I have always done some combination of White Dot and White Cross. I thought it was about time to try some different trails on this mountain!

Went to the far left of the parking lot and found the Parker Trail. Took that 1.2 miles and branched off up the Cliff Walk Trail. Followed the Cliff Walk all the way up to Bald Rock. Many cool little ledge viewpoints along the way kinda reminded me of a mini Blueberry Ledge Trail ascending Whiteface. And Bald Rock was a sweet spot with a tremendous view up to Monadnock. From there followed the Smith Connector to Amphitheater Trail to White Arrow. I believe we left the parking lot around 10am and made it to the top around 12:40ish but seemed to take our time up with a major break at Bald Rock. Spent 20 minutes at the top and headed down Pumpelly Trail at 1:00pm. Took that the 0.4 to Red Spot Trail and followed that to Cascade Link which then brings you down to the familiar White Dot for the final walk back to the parking lot. Made it back to the car by 2:30pm so only 1.5 hours for that 2.6 or so miles down.

A more round-about way and was cool seeing some different sites and trails. Overall, I would def do the Cliff Walk again, but there wasn't too much exciting on the descent route of Pumpelly-Red Spot-Cascade Link. I would maybe opt to just skip that next time and take White Dot/Cross or find a totally different route again. So many options and an awesome peak to hike!

A more round-about way and was cool seeing some different sites and trails. Overall, I would def do the Cliff Walk again, but there wasn't too much exciting on the descent route of Pumpelly-Red Spot-Cascade Link. I would maybe opt to just skip that next time and take White Dot/Cross or find a totally different route again. So many options and an awesome peak to hike!

You should try going the opposite way next time and go past red spot on the cascade link and then take the spellman trail up to pumpelly. Its short and steep and my favorited trail on Monadnock.

shamples: This is one of my standard routes on the mountain--far more interesting than White Cross/White Dot.

Marlboro (optional detour to Monte Rosa) , Dublin, Pumpelly, and Spellman trails are also worth hiking.

Doug