'Classic Hikes' ignores Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many, but Algonquin / Iroquois / Wright is another good one.

The Pitchoff traverse has spectacular views.

Cascade and Porter is another classic.

Ampersand is short and sweet, but has great views.

I could go on and on... :D

Wright-Algonquin-iriquois return via Lake Colden and Avalanche Pass - a lot of great scenery all along the way and IMHO a great sampling of the varied nature of the Dax

I agree although I think I'd go up one way & then down to Lake Colden & out over the Hitch ups, Avalanche Pass & (a full) Marcy Pond, my favorite.
RPR & Giant is good also as is the Great Range & also Macomb, the little Dixes & Dix.

What, no Allen Mountain??!!!

I also love Wright, Algonquin, and Iroquois. The views from Algonquin of Colden and the slides is awesome and then coming back through Avalanche Pass with the Hitch-ups and getting to see the Trap Dike from across the lake is pretty kick ass!

Another vote for Algonquin.

441164690_3LnC6-M.jpg

441164804_Tr7LN-M.jpg

I agree although I think I'd go up one way & then down to Lake Colden & out over the Hitch ups, Avalanche Pass & (a full) Marcy Pond, my favorite.
RPR & Giant is good also as is the Great Range & also Macomb, the little Dixes & Dix.

Think we are on the same page? Maybe I should have started my sentence with "Up Wright, over Algonquin and Iroquois...". The descent of the Lake Colden Trail is one of my favorite maintained trails in the High Peaks.

No trails listed in Maine, either. Maybe the Baxter red tape scared him off.

For NY, I think the Great Range Traverse is the most 'classic', if not the best hiking in the state.