Horn, Bulge, Cabot, Terrace via Unknown Pond, Kilkenny Ridge, York Pond Trails 4-28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 28 April 2012

Trail Conditions:

Unknown Pond Trail: 7 blowdowns of consequence, most not requiring getting off trail. Muddy and wet in spots. Dusting to an inch of fresh snow in AM. One crossing required carefully planned rock-hopping. Trail requires care to follow in spots.

Kilkenny Ridge Trail: 3 blowdowns between Unknown Pond and Cabot, 2 duckunders. Trail in good shape, Hard pack snow covered with powder. Just south of Cabot's summit is a substantial blowdown patch requiring going around. Trail clear from there down to Bunnell Notch. From Bunnell Notch to summit of North Terrace, another 7 blowdowns of various types. Good from there to Willard Notch. York Pond Trail had another 5 blowdowns and was very wet (per usual) in places. 2 crossings were challenging. The closest crossing to the trail head can be done by bushwhacking upsteam 100 yards to a few logs that can be crossed relatively safely.

Special Equipment Required: I barebooted all day. There were spots where light traction would have been fine but it was a mix of rock and snow without much ice. Waterproof boots and high gaiters recommended. No bugs on this cool spring day.

Comments: gorgeous, cool and windy day after a dusting of fresh powder. Unknown Pond is pristine and the Horn had great views but was too windy to stay long. 14 years since last time I was at either. Stopped on Cabot long enough to visit the true summit and leave some trail magic at the privy (roll of TP) on the way past the cabin. View from Terrace was beautiful. I lost a small red camera somewhere near Bunnell Notch. Fantastic day!