Green Mountain (Maine) access inquiry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoAkela

Reaction score
Are there any intrepid bushwhackers out there who have been up to Green Mountain? This is a somewhat bare, northern peak of Bear Mountain, which is east of the Mahoosucs and west of Grafton Notch. Old guides speak of accessing this peak via today's Lary Brook Road, following by foot after the gate and turning east a bit after heading up the old Mount Success salvage trail, following the drainages up. However, I can see on Google Earth some newer logging roads stretching out from Ketchum that might get closer. Not sure if those are open to traffic and haven't yet done any recon. I thought I saw a trip report about this peak here years ago, but I cannot find it now.

W Bear aka Green (ME)

The NEng 3k list has Green listed as W Bear at 3290 ft.

We did it from the South, using an old log road that lvs Rt 2 and follows Twitchell Brook North.

The log rd is bouldered after a short distance. The rd gives out a bit after that and the woods take over.

We did this in JUN 2003.

I have hiked the 3290 peak both from the S as JimC describes and via a route from Lary Brook Rd to the 2591 col then bushwhack up, depending on where you can drive to the 2nd rte is shorter with less elevation gain

Thanks, Jim and Roy. That information is much appreciated. For some reason, this peak calls to me - hopefully I can fit the trip into this year sometime. :)