Pt 2550 (near Jackman, ME)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
perhaps not as much TR today as rumination (you've been warned)...crazy late start at 730...left after "core" class at Bangor "Y"--after last year's injuries, i decided to join the "Y" to diversify the beatings needed to keep the old body parts moving-"just" running was pounding me to dust--exploring various machines/classes and have found yoga (which i initially scoffed at) and "core" (which may kill me) to be pretty helpful

Anyhow, today had potential for a miserable hike -it was cool, foggy, low ceiling and drizzle most of the way to Jackman (yes, Skowhegan, Bingham, Forks, Jackman alley again)-could i have missed the forecast that badly? I really do plan these things beyond thoroughly :). When i passed through Jackman, it was evident that one of my reliable tools (the Weather Underground precipitation in last 24 hrs scan) was uncharacteristically way off. I had planned for less than a 1/10' of precip since yesterday and it looked closer to 1/2", puddles everywhere-yuk!

North of Jackman, just yards before the border, i took the Blake Gore Rd (dirt, what else?) east. Thanks to Bill Jarvis of Jarvis Forestry for beta on this and past Jackman area projects.

PT 2550-2550'-I was able to drive in about 3/4 mile before finding the expected locked gate. It was low 40s, overcast, but no precip at all and low wind as i started walking east toward Campbell Pond. Near the pond i was able to find an old trail/path NW to a smaller pond i spotted on the sat pics--perhaps more a large bog than a pond. I changed to full "wet" gear and started into the woods following very old skid trails and animal paths--the moose skat and tracks were everywhere. The woods was soaked/muddy (even the moose left skid marks) and the footing problematic (but no snow and ice anywhere). Woods density was moderate and the "plan" went well, essentially just take the POTR to the border and then hike on the swath to the top. ------you really needed at least a "top spot" (compass,GPS, something)for direction today as the sky was completely overcast and the terrain lumpy with no obvious "up" in many places; with the bashing through moderate woods, it would have been easy to go 90 degrees off course several places.....surprisingly, i was really enjoying this little hike in the iffy weather.

I hit the swath about 150 yards from where i hoped the top might be. Walking on the swath was like an open trail, as easy as any stretch i've seen (and there have been a lot). This was my last time "dancing on the swath" (or often the more worrisome back and forth over it)-no more border area peaks for me (well perhaps one left). As i hit a height of land i felt was the high point (i'd be embarrassed to call it a summit) i saw what i hoped was a "JP" jar hung from a tree about 15' into the woods on the US side-jelly jar, unmistakable cord string and 3/4 full of water-a sure goner. I gingerly removed the jar from the string, viciously battered the rusted lid til it yielded and emptied the water from the jar. The usual several loose sheets of paper inside a sealed plastic bag were very damp, but not soaked and i was able to scribble my name in pencil. I like finding these jars regardless, but i'm most happy when i find one on a really obscure peak with no other visitors since it was placed a decade ago. This was one of those -now has two sign-ins, 11 years apart (have found maybe 12-15 like this with no visitors in 8-12 years)...descent was uneventful, but very slippery

As i meandered the old road back to the car with some now filtered sun ( i love sunny road walks out from completed whacks), i realized how much i liked the hike today--pretty much a "0" weather day and a "0" grade peak, but it just felt good. I will really miss all these wanderings in and to nowhere when it's finished. The "P" peaks have taken me so many places places i'd never consider going. I've found pleasure and cool hikes unexpectedly and often. The "out there" isolation has become almost like a drug at times.

better quit, getting up at 2AM to head for The County :)

jim

Sounds like a nice walk in a beautiful place. I passed through Jackman Me in 1970 on my way home from Canada n had the best fried chicken at a mom n pops full of lumberjacks eating n enjoying the end of a hard days work.