Old Speck trail question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
Is the parking lot for the Old Speck Trail on ME 26 usually plowed? Thanks in advance.

Yes. I had always heard that it was plowed. Parked there Feb 1st, 2004, and it was plowed. So, yes.

Tramper Al said:
Yes. I had always heard that it was plowed. Parked there Feb 1st, 2004, and it was plowed. So, yes.

It is usually plowed and there is a dollar charge.

Fred

frytz said:
It is usually plowed and there is a dollar charge.

That reminded me of a question I had... (and maybe it's a dumb one.) I parked in the Old Speck lot overnight in October and didn't realize there was a charge to park there. My car was there for two weekend days and I saw at the trailhead kiosk that there was a charge when I returned from the hike. I didn't get a ticket or anything... and I was just wondering if the White Mt. parking sticker happened to be good there or if I was just lucky. Anyone know? (Just for the record, I did pay for the two days of parking before I left.)

-- Ivy

The parking/use fee at Old Speck seems to go on the honor system. I've never noticed anyone checking. Some days I don't have cash, other times I drop in extra. Never had a problem.

The lot is generally clear all winter although after a storm it sometimes takes them a few days to get to it.
If the lot is full you might check the pull-off on the opposite side and a bit South of it...Mother Walker Falls, maybe? Or Moose Caves? It would add a decent roadwalk but if it's clear and the AT lot is not it might be worthwhile.
-vegematic

Since I got such quick answers I guess I'll ask another. Any recommendations for lodging not too far from this trailhead. The plan is to drive over from NY on a Friday. Hike Saturday. Drive home Sunday. This is a 'wife trip" so comfortable and clean. Near some restaurants would be great too! Ok, fire away!

SherpaKroto said:
Nope, it's a fee for the State Park (Grafton Notch).

The first time I ran into the fee there, I didn't see the sign and kiosk until I was returning to my car. Since the smallest I had was a ten dollar bill, I sent them a $1 check when I got back home!

Fred

Two summer ago I saw 2 uniformed men checking for receipts in the lot. Was there in August of this year and seem to remember that the price has been increased to $2 as well as the parking at Screw Auger Falls. I don't remember seeing any motels but wasn't looking for any. Just a campground found, I believe in the Town of Newry.

Rik said:
Since I got such quick answers I guess I'll ask another. Any recommendations for lodging not too far from this trailhead. The plan is to drive over from NY on a Friday. Hike Saturday. Drive home Sunday. This is a 'wife trip" so comfortable and clean. Near some restaurants would be great too! Ok, fire away!
Grafton Notch is between Bethel and Errol (there's not much in Newry) and you're probably better off with Bethel; there are several B&B's. The only one I know of is Rivendell House; I have not stayed there myself (have been meaning to, can't find the time) but know the owners.

There's also the Bethel Inn. It's probably pricey but sometimes there are specials in shoulder seasons. Ditto on not having stayed there myself. It does look nice when I've driven by. I can also remember a fairly good restaurant or two in "downtown" Bethel, but names escape me. Sunday River ski area will have at least several restaurants and lodgings as well. There's a big restaurant on the fork junction of 26 south of the notch where you head up to Sunday River.

We stayed at the Norse Inn or something like that near Bethel back in September. It was decent, and included a continental breakfast. There was a restaurant up the road for dinner, Beer something. It was located at the fork to Newry, I believe. Sorry, I'm drawing a blank on these names.

Thanks again everyone. Great info as always. I will do a little homework on the above mentioned places. Anybody else with ideas throw them in. I will make sure to report back on where we stay and what we thought.

Sunday River Brewery

There's the Sunday River Brewery.

oops- wrong question, what was I thinking of...

re:Old Speck

Norse Inn is definitely there still and looks like a decent place to park your soul for the night. I'm surprised to see all the commentary about a park fee, guess I missed it, I'm pretty religious about the anty up at any trailhead but when I was there for the Baldpates a few weeks back I saw no fee postings...