The Gothics

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um...I will write up a full trip report later but the short of the trip was that the mountain WHUPPED me...haha.

My freind insisted we did not need snowshoes...so that decision probably cost us the mountain. However, we got really high up, about halfway on the ridgeline going towards the Sawteeth, Pyrimad, Gothics (dont know the name of the trail) starting from the trail alongside the river there. It was cold, lots of snow etc, but we ate amazing and i had a lot of fun. Thanks for the suggestions, and maybe next time I will use a little bit more common sense and insist on bringing whatever gear is required!

Nonlegit said:
Um...I will write up a full trip report later but the short of the trip was that the mountain WHUPPED me...haha.

If it makes you feel any better, you can now count yourself as "one of many" that has taken a "good ole fashion ass-whoopin" in the Adirondacks. Welcome Aboard.

Sincerly,
A fellow member
Mavs00 :cool:

Don't feel to bad. Gothics got me twice in winter condx already. We didnt bring our snowshoes the first time to get over to the other side of the saddle. The second time, my mates were un-easy about the ice, and steepness. Gothics is no joke.

Also we were supposed to hike Tabletop weekend before last, but didnt make it because we left our snowshoes in the car. What a dumb mistake. At least you had the common sense to turn around when things got tough.

-percious

mavs00 said:
If it makes you feel any better, you can now count yourself as "one of many" that has taken a "good ole fashion ass-whoopin" in the Adirondacks. Welcome Aboard.

Sincerly,
A fellow member
Mavs00 :cool:
Right on Tim!!!!! (and glad you had fun Non-Legit - No shame in turning back, EVER!!!!). Next time you can take the "easier" route and get both Saddleback and Gothics from the OreBrook Trail.
:)

but didnt make it because we left our snowshoes in the car. What a dumb mistake

I know how that feels x100

Yeah, its tough turning around, but we probably went too far as it was. Kind of embarrassing, but i was going on all fours to not posthole. So basically i realized that i was crawling up the mountain, and i became too tired to do that. So we figured we better feckin turn around, if you get my drift.

I did the same thing on Colden Thanksgiving 1994. I ended up pulling a muscle in my groin, trying to post hole through waist deep snow near the top of the False Summit. I decided not to bring my snowshoes (I recklessly left them at the L/T). I have since decided it is always wiser to carry them for that one possible chance you will need them and need them good!!!
Think of the great times you'll have telling this years from now!

Also, a couple more things i wanted to add: I am pretty sure that we could smuggle something over the border, because we passed border patrol twice and when they saw/smelled us, they just asked citizenship and pretty much just waved us through. Last 10 times ive gone through, ive been grilled!

It also probably didn't help our hike out that we dehydrated ourselves as best we could the night before :eek: , but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Fred, I am definately more of a St. Stephen, Truckin, touch of grey, No Quarter (one of my all time favorite songs), since ive been loving you (another all time favorite) kind of guy :D

nonlegit,

Glad you had a good time in the Adirondack's and it sounds like you made a wise decision to turn around. As everyone has said...no shame in that man! You are now that much wiser about hiking the Adirondacks and the associated winter gear needs. Trust your conservative side and err on the side of taking the gear you think you might need. You should try to hook up with a few groups the next time you go out, as it makes for much safer travel and you can share trailbreaking duties.

40th Anniversary Dead tour this coming summer, dude. Get READY!!

Hey guys I just wanted to resurrect this thread and ask some more advice from you. Carter and I will be headed back up to the adks hopefully next week, and we were planning on spending the entire time ice climbing... and probably throw in a couple of hikes in there. So we just wanted to know if any of you knew anything about some TRable ice routes around there. Thanks!

not that my two cents count, but here it is ,00 and Mass, as well as the others have supplyed you with a 360 over view. take them all and watch the weather ,it is infact still winter. How long can you break trail fore? the range trail(tri-fecta )from Keen is outstanding but long st.Huberts leaves you more options ,and the ribbon slide maybe you should stay on trail learn the area a little first. I will be spending 4 days at grace camp in keen in march . let it snow and be safe, after you take many chances ofcorse.

Pyramid alone may fulfill your need for exposure, difficulty and danger. You can descend from Pyramid the way you ascended and feel completely satisfied with your day. Or you can decide to extend the trip by descending the Pyramid/Gothics saddle and reaching the summit of Gothics

...and if you STILL haven't had enough fun, descend over the Sawteeth via the "Scenic Trail" on the way out. I took this variation with a friend a few years ago....tons of fun, but a long day :)

Tim Seaver said:
...tons of fun, but a long day :)

Tim, I didn't think there was such a thing as a long day for you! :)

Nonlegit, stop in to the Mountaineer on 73 to get the scoops on the ice routes. They usually have heard the reports on what's what. I've just noticed the ice climbers heading out in the last couple of weeks, FWIW.

As to the Range, others have I'm sure gotten you confused plenty by now! Have fun, and you can't go wrong with whatever you do. Hopefully we'll finally get hit with snow on Monday!

TR ice

if you don't mind bushwack/post holing
then: the chapel pond canyon
and the quarry in Cascade Pass (grade 4-4+ish) across the road
you could also snow climb Green Gulley and throw ropes down Cascade Falls (2+or3)
otherwise short stuff to be had roadside in chapel pond area or Little Moscow 1 mi South of E-town
I'll be up there swingin' next weekend (NF Pitchoff maybe...) :D

Chiller Pillar

Chiller Pillar can be TR'ed easily, and is generally less crowded than the canyon or Cascade Pass. It's off the Memorial Highway near the toll both for Whiteface. Should be in good shape in the up coming days. :D

TR Ice

(from another thread in this forum)

The best top rope ice in the daks is at Pitchoff Right and the Quarry. Pitchoff, especially, is an almost perfect ice park, with sunny exposure, a short approach, an easy walk to the top, numerous tree anchors, and a range of climbing from easy NEI 2 to sick overhanging mixed.

The disadvantage of Pitchoff is that everyone knows this, and it's a zoo on a nice weekend day. If you can get away mid week (or better yet, at night, which is how I get on the popular climbs), it's great.

There are also some easy practice gullies across the upper lake, approached from the Cascade hiking trail, but they're very easy, and often snow covered.

There's some good top roping in some more remote areas. We've been climbing new routes on the N face of second brother for the last two seasons. It's about an hour's walk from the garden, but you can be assured of having it to yourself.

Also, for conditions, goto www.rockandriver.com for an ice report.

TCD