Seeking advice on how to pack for "light and fast" hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=full-gear-list

Recently after reading the SAR topics and reviewing input from experienced hikers, I have been assessing how I could possibly lighten my load and still "hike safe".
When I pack the "recommended gear", I don't find my pack to be ultra light but perhaps this is as good as it gets. Hoping to do some backpacking with Molly this summer so I am very open to suggestions. As I get older, by back and knees don't always take the joke.
I have been updating my gear and most of it, if not all, is lightweight.
What am I doing wrong and how can I remedy this?
My overnight Deuter pack is 3.8 lbs and relatively new. I also have a new Sawyer water filter. It it best to carry less water and just filter out of streams as you go? How about food? Are Mt House type dinners a good choice or would it be best to pack your own?
What is the average pack weight for those who go "light and fast" for a 3-4 night out trip? How about for a day trip? Even that pack seems heavy to me.
All suggestions welcome.

I carry all the essentials in the Whites less rain pants, but I can't seem to carry much less than 30 pounds at this time of year. Overnight (adding tent, bag, pad, and more food) will bring this number up to 45 or more. This includes the weight of water; I carry 3-4 litres. I'll be interested to know how this compares to others.

The basic method is:

Weigh everything you carry, including water, food, clothing, shoes, your pack itself, and everything in it.

Start with the heavy stuff.
That usually means tent, then sleeping bag (and pad), then the pack itself, then kitchen gear.
Replace with something lighter, or literally cut out the parts you don't need.

e.g. in summer, you don't need a tent, a tarp will do. You don't need a sleeping bag, a down blanket will do. You don't need a big strong pack, a small light one will do (especially when you get rid of all the extra stuff you've been carrying).
You don't need a lot of water in New England, a filter will do. You don't need a filter if iodine tablets will do.

etc etc.

Note that "light" is often the opposite of "comfortable", at least when it comes to camping and meals. Pick what works for you.

If you're not camping, your pack should be pretty light to start with, you may be better off getting into better shape than obsessing over grams. (I meant, concentrate on the "fast" part, it's not automatic that carrying a light pack means you move fast. But the "light" side of the equation can be affected by fitness too: for some folks it's safer to lose ten pounds off their body than three pounds off their pack.)

I'm not familiar with most of the specific gear you mentioned, but re Mountain House: they're not heavy, though they are bulky. You can save space (maybe this gets you into a smaller, lighter pack) by packing your own food - put more than one meal's worth in the same container. (You'll also avoid getting way too much salt with your meals.) However, MH type meals have two big advantages: no need to cook - just boil water: carry less fuel, and you don't need to carry a pot or pan. I'll sometimes make my own dehydrated meals and bring along a MH bag to "cook" them in.

I seem to recall that in winter, with climbing rope and gear, snowshoes, tent, etc, my pack weight goes over forty pounds, not counting the boots and clothing I'm wearing while weighing my pack. I'll slip downstairs and weigh my spring/fall pack when I get a chance.

Update: as currently stored (no camera gear, no food, no water, no microspikes; not including the shoes and clothing I'd be wearing at the start of a hike or the stuff in my pockets e.g. 2nd headlamp), my daypack weighs seven pounds. I normally start with 1.5 liters of water (1.5 kg - roughly three pounds) and about a pound of food, plus five to ten pounds of photo gear.

One more thing: how much do your boots weigh? In summer, I hike in trail runners, and sometimes barefoot.

Last edited:
http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=full-gear-list

Recently after reading the SAR topics and reviewing input from experienced hikers, I have been assessing how I could possibly lighten my load and still "hike safe".

I've developed 1 solid technique: Hike with others who overpack :eek:. Beyond that I've found the big differences become comfort and safety choices. I could site examples, but you understand.

I've developed 1 solid technique: Hike with others who overpack :eek:. Beyond that I've found the big differences become comfort and safety choices. I could site examples, but you understand.

I'm usually that person, but have never hiked with Chip. I, too, am looking at ways to lighten my load by having my friends (except for Brian, whose pack is always heavy) carry more. It's not working out. I've taken too many WFA courses at SOLO and have too vivid an imagination for what I might need and should carry.

I've taken too many WFA courses at SOLO and have too vivid an imagination for what I might need and should carry.
Tell me about it. As a WFR I too carry enough gear and first aid to assist in almost any emergency situation. Some of my hiking friends think I carry too much, yet I have had at least two occasions where I was glad I carried what I did.

Maddy,
First of all, everything that Nartreb stated was right on target.

After reviewing the Hikesafe link that you attached, there are several items that you should consider that can shave ounces, which lead to pounds:
  1. Clothing - make sure that what you take is lightweight, but functional. You don't need to bring a whole bunch of warm clothes during three season trips, as you have a shelter and sleeping bag to stay warm. You just need enough to keep you warm around camp and to switch out of wet clothes from hiking. Clothing can weigh a lot.
  2. Packaging - for stuff like first aid kits, I would put them into a Ziploc rather than the carrying case to save weight. The same can apply for everything. You can also stuff your Mountain House contents into a Ziploc freezer bag and put the boiling water in that. Saves a couple of ounces. Might not be worth it to you.
  3. Stove/fuel - Canister and alcohol stoves weigh less. Don't bring too much fuel. A small 4.5 ounce butane/propane canister should last you 3-4 nights. Also, you can bring less fuel if you choose to have some cold meals.
  4. Toiletries/First Aid - just bring what you think is needed and use travel-sized items, like you would take on a plane.
  5. Cookwear - bring what you only need. If you have Mountain House food, you really only need one small pot to boil water and to use as a drinking cup. Don't forget a lid or some aluminum foil to cover the pot, though.
  6. Spare clothing - I only bring what is considered necessary, which is not much.
  7. Water bottles - Nalgenes weigh about 5 ounces. Gatorade bottles weigh about 1 ounce.
  8. Sleeping bag - down bags weigh less and use up less space, but many prefer synthetics in case the bag gets wet. I use a down bag (800 fill power) and have never gotten it very wet (knock on wood).
  9. Towel - could get away with a washcloth or just a bandana. That's a luxury item.

If you get a kitchen scale and weigh your items, you will get lots of other ideas, I would guess. Good luck in your transition.

Marty
Marty

My daypack, a fanny pack with shoulder straps, weighs about 25 lbs. and varies slightly with the season, weather and destination. I carry this regardless the length or difficulty of the hike to maintain strength and conditioning. I carry a complete list of "basics" which I consider sufficient for normal safety, first aid and comfort requirements.

For backpacking and sometimes when leading a group, my larger pack will weigh about 45 lbs. For me, getting too much beyond that weight has too much effect on my balance and pace to be fun anymore. However, my maximum overnight is one or two nights ... beyond that I seek to cache supplies, most notably food and drink, as my philosophical empasis has shifted from hard core to gourmet. I could improve my weight by getting a smaller lighter tent but suffer under the load of one tent that fits all my needs.

I may not be the best guy to advocate lightweight backpacking what with my cast iron skillet and wine (weight can be saved by decanting in a lighter container or plastic bottle) but, to lighten my load, I made some rules for myself that may be helpful:

1. Evaluate each item as to whether it is truly essential*, or can be improvised, or whether there is a lighter or smaller substitute.
2. Maximize those items which have multiple purpose.
3. Satisfactory hygiene can be achieved with fewer clothes but a safe layering system is important.
4. Except for wholesome breakfasts and dinners, a few hunger pains won't hurt so food emphasis is on high short term energy content.
5. Repackage items and carry only the minimum needed for the circumstances, especially first aid supplies and food.
6. Evaulate each item as if you were in a survival situation ... is it something you really need or would it be something you might drop to lighten your load.

* By "essential", I do a subjective calculation of the risk (probability) of an event versus severity of the outcome if not suitably addressed. You can't cover all eventualities and still travel light but it helps to learn survival skills and carry a good knife and windproof/waterproof/foolproof fire starting materials and practice starting a fire under adverse conditions. Knowing and having a sound confidence in your survival skills can go a long way in lightening a load.

As for water, I typically carry 2-3 litres and a filter on overnights.

My opinions - specific to multi-day trips (different from day hikes):

My overnight Deuter pack is 3.8 lbs and relatively new.
It depends on what your total pack weight is, but this pack seems heavy. There's a lot of packs in the 2 lb range that should work for 3-4 day trips.
I also have a new Sawyer water filter.
Ditch the filter and carry tablets.
It it best to carry less water and just filter out of streams as you go?
Carry just enough water to make it to the next water source. How much you need depends on your body and the terrain. I rarely carry more than a liter at any given point.
How about food?
Just enough. If I get back to the car and have zero food in my pack, I did it right. I usually try to be around 1.5 lbs/day, a bit more if my metabolism is higher.
Are Mt House type dinners a good choice or would it be best to pack your own?
I'm ok with them. You can do better though - in particular the MH meals are not very compact.
What is the average pack weight for those who go "light and fast" for a 3-4 night out trip?
Depends heavily on the trip. In general (starting weights with food):
5-6 days - <30 lbs
3-4 days - <20 lbs
overnight - ~15 lbs

I actually have an old post that detailed everything I carried on two longer backpacks in the Sierras if you are interested.
http://dunbarsm.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/hiking-by-the-numbers/#comments

Weights for those trips:
6-day --> 27 lbs
5-day --> 26 lbs

If I didn't have to carry a bear canister for those hikes, I would have reduced the overall weight by about 4.5 lbs. Stupid bear canisters.

Tell me about it. As a WFR I too carry enough gear and first aid to assist in almost any emergency situation. Some of my hiking friends think I carry too much, yet I have had at least two occasions where I was glad I carried what I did.

I should start hiking with you! :)

...[*]Water bottles - Nalgenes weigh about 5 ounces. Gatorade bottles weigh about 1 ounce.

That's an excellent point, Marty, and would add an other variation - I splurged on a couple of Platypus rollup's which are also very light, study, and have the advantage of collapsing as you drink the liquid. In reality, I don't use them as much as I thought as when the weather is warm enough to use them I'm probably using a bladder.

WOW....thanks. Excellent suggestions. I will review them all and work my way thru this.
I now have a foundation to build on. :cool:

Thought my pack itself might be a little too heavy...and so am I. This is great motivation to lose weight.
Every ounce does count!

Last edited:
That's an excellent point, Marty, and would add an other variation - I splurged on a couple of Platypus rollup's which are also very light, study, and have the advantage of collapsing as you drink the liquid. In reality, I don't use them as much as I thought as when the weather is warm enough to use them I'm probably using a bladder.

I use these, too, Kevin. I also have a Camelback bottle http://www.rei.com/product/830413/camelbak-eddy-water-bottle-25-fl-oz which has a straw in it and connects to a hose with bite valve http://www.rei.com/product/763661/camelbak-hands-free-bottle-adapter I keep that on the outside of my pack and prefer to refill it from the collapsable containers. The bottle is lighter than Nalgene and works well, except I noticed last weekend when I bent over quickly to grab a photo of a small flower that water dribbled out of a breather hole on the top of the bottle. Small price to pay.

Last edited:
Im in the group of heavier packs even for dayhikes. Ive tried to lighten my load, but it bothered me when I was hiking that I had so little. I carry extra clothes, first aid, all my water, extra food, heavy knife, but in the end I like the security that I can be comfortable no matter what happens. My thought process when I pack is this, giving where Im going and what I could run into as far as weather or an accident, what would I love to have with me at that point? Do I carry items I rarely use? yes. But, if Im alone up high and I break my leg or something I could last quite awhile.

I carry all the essentials in the Whites less rain pants, but I can't seem to carry much less than 30 pounds at this time of year
I think you can get away with a 16-24 pound pack this time of year.Maybe add some down?
I always try to carry stuff that can be used for two purposes.I try to be ready for massive downpours and spending the night out.Two items in my must have list are my polyolefin long johns[very very warm]and my sol thermal bivy sack[named after a mexican beer].Those two things will help if I have to rest in my bivy while hurt with blinding rain or snow.I do believe though to each his/her own hike but think that equipment advances make being lighter much easier....Talking about one day hikes here

I generally carry enough that I could survive a couple of nights outdoors at the highest elevation/worst terrain I anticipate reaching. That's quite different from being comfortable for a couple of nights. Food is optional. (I do carry a tiny bit in reserve, it makes a big difference psychologically, and it's useful for treating hypothermia in myself and others.) I generally don't carry a tent on a dayhike, or even a sleeping bag (though I often bring a bag in winter). I'd rather carry a warm jacket - it's usually smaller and lighter and I'm more likely to actually use it if I get cold. I figure if I'm mobile, I'd usually prefer to put on the jacket and keep moving. If I have an immobilizing leg injury, I probably can't set up a tent and may even have trouble with a sleeping bag.

I think you can get away with a 16-24 pound pack this time of year.Maybe add some down?
I always try to carry stuff that can be used for two purposes.I try to be ready for massive downpours and spending the night out.Two items in my must have list are my polyolefin long johns[very very warm]and my sol thermal bivy sack[named after a mexican beer].Those two things will help if I have to rest in my bivy while hurt with blinding rain or snow.I do believe though to each his/her own hike but think that equipment advances make being lighter much easier....Talking about one day hikes here

Maybe, RedOak, 24 pounds sounds doable if I edit my list more. I have certainly tried to keep gear weight down by buying lightweight items when and where I can, even though 30 pounds isn't that much for me. At this time of year I carry the following in a fairly heavy 65 litre Granite Gear Nimbus Trace backpack when hiking in the Whites:

- Water: 3+ litres (I could save some weight by reducing this and purifying what I find). The water is carried in a platypus plus one bottle, though in winter I'll retire the bag.
- Food for the day (sandwich, my own ubergorp, apple, orange, banana, plus a spare something just in case).
- Light rain/wind jacket.
- Old but very warn and light polyfill field jacket liner.
- A second warm layer, just in case (a nice albeit fairly heavy Northface fleece).
- Spare clothing: lightweight modern fabrics, i.e., Kuhl pants, etc.
- Hat and gloves, plus a bandanna.
- Camera (P&S soon to be upgraded to a Cannon G12 plus gorilla pod).
- Cell phone (I do not consider this as an emergency item).
- Knife with fire steel.
- Traction (microspikes at this time of year).
- Small but fairly complete first aid kit, including a half dozen emergency magic get-home pills.
- Personal items like keys, wallet, TP, dental floss even on a day hike, etc.
- Emergency gear to include small EPIRB, headlamp, spare batteries, lighter, aerial flare, whistle, mirror, space blanket, and iodine tabs though I will be getting a small UV purifier in a week or so.
- Good compass (in addition to the little one attached to my pack), small scale map copy of the route, large scale map of the area, copy of the description (the WMG stays home).
- Sunglasses and case.
- Backpack cover in case it rains.
- Trekking poles.
- Gaiters.
- Sometimes I'll carry a JetBoil stove and a spoon and cup so I can make some tea in the afternoon (it's something I like to do, a creature comfort thing).

On overnights I'll carry my JetBoil stove and bring dehydrated foods instead of or in addition to the heavy day foods, in addition to a very light one-person tent, sleeping bag, and a pad. I'll eat the foods with a titanium spoon and/or chopsticks right out of the bag. A minimalist galley for sure.

Personally I don't think what I carry is too excessive, though some certainly will. It works for me. I carry what I need and what I might need if things go awry. I generally solo hike so I err on the side of caution given that circumstance, even though I would never expect others to take up my slack if part of a group anyway.

In the winter I expect to add more people to my party and another 20 pounds or so what with a bivvy, ice axe, snowshoes, crampons, GPS, and more clothes and food, etc.

It seems to add up fast.

I'm neither light nor fast, and I don't buy equipment with weight savings as the driver, but I do believe in going as light as I can and still feeling safe.

For comparison's sake, I hike with an Osprey 40L Stratos and the stuff shown here in winter. Weight with 2L of water (4.4 pounds + 10oz of Nalgene) = 33 pounds (I now have Tubbs Flex Alp 24s which are slightly heavier than the MSRs, although with the tails, the MSRs are probably heavier.)

In the summer, I go with an Osprey Talon 22 (wish they made the Stratos 24 at the time), much of the weight is 3L of water (6.6 pounds +) in a bladder. I haven't ever weighed it, but I'm sure it's less than 20 pounds.

Most of the stuff in winter doesn't come out to play and is along for the ride in case of emergency. Hiking back-to-back(-to-back) days this winter, I learned a neat trick from Hiker Ed -- Put the infrequently used items in your pack in a garbage bag - thus you have the emergency garbage bag, plus all those survival items (in stuff sacks) will not get wet and can easily be re-packed the next day.

Note-I am strictly a day hiker.

Tim