Which 4,000 to finish on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
Since many of you here have hiked all the 48, I figured I would pose the question of which of my 6 peaks left should I save for last?

When I started, I did not necessarily start out towards the goal of hiking all 48. I just wanted to hike the best with the top notch views. So I didn't think ahead and save an awesome peak for last to finish on.

My 6 remaining peaks:
Waumbek
Cabot
Wildcat D
Wildcat
South Carter
Middle Carter

So really this looks like 4 remaining hikes for me. 1) Waumbek, 2) Cabot, 3) Middle & South Carter together and 4) Wildcat & Wildcat D together. I know I could attempt those 4 last peaks in one hike but it may be too much for one day as I don't usually do overnights.

So knowing what I don't know already having never seen these peaks, which would be the best one to finish on and save for last?

Thanks for any information and Happy Hiking!

hmm..

do you ski or snowboard? if so finish the wildcats in winter and ski/ride down to the finish @ the resort.. I finished my last 3 via snowboard (and had done the same with some other peaks) beats downhiking.. my last day to finish the NH 48 list, did tecumseh and moosilauke via snowboarding and was still done @ 3:30p..

if no to ski/ride, than cabot would be best IMO, since it's your last peak, do a counterclockwise loop that hits the horn 1st, to add to the view and memories factor..:)

*I do realize you will have to wait for next season to ski, but theres plenty of other hikes to do while waiting to finish the nh48...

Last edited:
According to trip reports and the Wildcat web cam, you'd have to wait until next winter to ski down Wildcat.

current.jpg

And then there is the issue of using Wildcat's trails without a lift ticket.

another vote for D peak

I would finish on wildcat d because if you want any non hikers to join they can take the lift up its open almost year round. You cab hike up nineteen mile brook and hit A peak then head over to d peak. Plus it offers the best views of the remainng peaks you have.

Waumbek is a pretty easy one, so if you want others who don’t usually hike to join you for the finale, that would be least painful for them.

On the other hand, you may want to go way beyond Waumbek and hit South Weeks and North Weeks while you’re there. Those are two on the New England Hundred Highest list, so you may as well tag them while you’re in the vicinity just in case you eventually decide to go for that list as well (you know how these things happen). That would make it about a 17-mile hike round trip, I think, so not so good for flatlanders.

The Wildcats would have the best views. But if you walk down the ski slopes from the D-E col, even early in July you’ll be wading through high weeds. Some good views from the Carter ridge, not directly from either summit, but just north of Middle Carter I remember it being real scenic. Not so much toward South Carter. If you haven’t climbed Mount Hight yet, between South Carter and Carter Dome, it’s a small, open summit and has the best views in the range. The Wildcat-Carter ridge would be especially interesting in August or September when you’d probably run into a lot of Appalachian Trail through-hikers.

I climbed Cabot just the one time, on Independence Day 10 years ago, and saw only one other person the entire hike, and that was someone standing by a tent at Unknown Pond. Otherwise I had it to myself, which is always nice.

Raymond... good point about those 2 peaks beyond Waumbek on the NE100 list.

I have yet to even look at that list, but I have a feeling this will be one of my next lists I work towards and fun to keep track of.

I do like the idea of the firetower list which looked pretty easy. And also that 25 terrifying list sounded cool and I'll have to look into that list more.

All good points so far about my remaining peaks.

Initially I was thinking Wildcat last just because I figured that had the best views of these, like freighttrain said.

Natron has me thinking about Cabot though since that sounds like a memorable loop hike too and possibly a good final one. I have just always expected Wildcat Ridge Trail as a potentially memorable one too. So it sounds like the choice is between these 2.

I have done Mt Hight when I did Carter Dome, and ironically was one of my favorite peaks in all the Whites so far even though it isn't considered part of the 48. I am guessing it is on some list out there though.

Carters for the views

While the Wildcats may have the best views of the peaks, a loop over the Carters has more and better views than any of your other remaining hikes. I went up over Imp Face, tagged North Carter (optional), then had a great ridgewalk southwards. There are some wooded stretches, but the rest of the time you're looking over your shoulder at the Northern Pressies and into the Great Gulf. There's an eastward view too, for variety, and further out the Sandwich range and into the Pemi - all places you've been. Exit out 19 Mile Brook and walk back to your car.

http://www.kaufmanfamily.net/pictures/v/hiking_album/carters_album/

Willoughby

Last edited:
I have done Mt Hight when I did Carter Dome, and ironically was one of my favorite peaks in all the Whites so far even though it isn't considered part of the 48. I am guessing it is on some list out there though.

It is one of my favorites, too, but - SHHH - it's a secret. ;) It's on the Y-Alpine and Trailwrights 72 lists, IIRC.

If you want views, then Wildcat D is the place to finish, with its views looking into Tucks and Huntington Ravines across the road. A nice place to celebrate with friends, too, if that's what you are looking for.

I finished on Waumbek, on a cool, drizzly day by myself. I wanted to have a quiet, non-descript finish by myself for philosophical reasons. In fact, later that same day, I finished my 48-solo on Cabot.

Mostly I would reiterate the points already made. If you want to have a summit celebration, then the platform on Wildcat D is probably the best place. There are some nice viewpoints between the Wildcat peaks as well, especially C peak.

Tim

Waumbek: the forest between Starr King and Waumbek is really beautiful, a flat mile long stretch that's great in winter or foggy days too. Old nice fireplace on Starr King summit. Waumbeks' summit is wooded. Nicest one on a rainy day.

Cabot: I would pick this one with the loop around Unknown Pond, the Horn and Bulge. Unknown Pond is really worth a trip if you like backcountry ponds and lakes. Gorgeous. Nice spot to tent. View from the rocky top of the Horn is fantastic as well.

Middle & South Carter: nice ridgewalk, highest elevations of those you have left, a few very good views along the way off both sides of ridge.

Wildcat & Wildcat D together: as said, 360 views. Cool glacial erratic boulder in middle of trail along the ridge. Play on the boulders around Carter Notch Hut.

I know you said you don't stay overnight much but if you could, I'd also suggest you consider backpacking the Kilkenny Ridge Trail from north to south and finishing on Waumbek at the end. IMO that would be a very cool way to finish the 48.

Lots to like about all of them! Enjoy.

Being from up a this a way, I say Cabot...39 other 4 thousand footer are visible from the view points going up there plus the Horn's views, and as mentioned Bulge and Horn on other lists...Unknown Pond looking up at the Horn is certain lighting conditions could win you a photo award if you are a pro (or maybe not!!)..and you could approach it from Mill Brook Rd from Rt. 110 in Stark where one hardly see any other hikers until Unknown Pond Campsite area..shorter than other approaches but longer driving wise, or you could find lodging in the Lancaster area..have seen southern VT, Dorset Peak, over 100 miles away, from Cabot Cabin in good viewing weather...Lefty E

Last edited:
I finished on Cabot with some inexperienced hikers and everyone did great! Gotta love the underappreciated peaks :)

Depends on what type of experience you want:

Waumbek if you want to take along people who don't normally hike as it is arguably the easiest NH 4000 footer, will give them a small taste of what you have accomplished.

Loop hike up 19MB trail to Wildcat Ridge Trail to Wildcat A, hike the ridge over the alphabet soup of Wildcat Peaks to Wildcat D. On a nice day the D Peak has spectacular views; if you hike down the Polecat Trail you have great views most of the way down.

As others mentioned, Waumbek could be non-hiker's first peak
Wildcat D would allow non-hikers to ride up and join the celebration, they could even bring the bubbly
The views near Middle Carter, IMO make it the best you have left for views.

While the view on the Horn is great, the summit doesn't really allow a group celebration, I suppose on a rainy day, you could hide in the cabin for a few minutes.

Wildcat D has the better view of the Presidentials compared to Wildcat A thanks to the ski area, some might find the development though not as appealing.