Hiker Rescused, Then Two More Lost Hikers Found

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highlights: All three were NH residents; "lacking appropriate food, water, clothing or equipment for his hike" (specifically mentioned all 3 were given headlamps.)

Tim

What about the two who happened to be helped out, though they had not called for assistance? Can someone be find if they are "found" like that? In other words, the first guy called because he knew he was in trouble. Certainly he should pay. The other two, it seems, hadn't called for help but might have eventually. Can one be charged even then? (I don't know whether that was how this went, but it could happen that way some time.)

Last edited:
I am hap · py

I am ver • y hap • py that they were giv • en a head • lamp since they had no flash • light.

Highlights: All three were NH residents; "lacking appropriate food, water, clothing or equipment for his hike" (specifically mentioned all 3 were given headlamps.)

Tim

For keeps or did they have to return them? :D

Hmmmm. I don't want to make too big a deal out of this, but the tone of this article is subtantially different from the last one we discussed... Could be a lot of good reasons for this, so I'll leave it at that for now.

The news storeis I saw on TV rin Maine really empahsized the "Hike safe" and 10 essentials. I really think that was the major attempt by fish and game this time around.

I guess the next step is to have a F&G officer doing a pack check ala Baxter State Park at the trailhead.

Maybe the rubber boot guy should get in touch with this crew and form a hiking club, all thier dues can be pooled for paying off rescuers when needed. :eek:

FWIW, I'd bet that a number of unreported rescues of this type are performed by hikers who simply happen to meet such "victims" while hiking. I've certainly been part of the rescuing party more than once.

Doug

EDIT: the above refers to the two additional lost hikers.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'd bet that a number of unreported rescues of this type are performed by hikers who simply happen to meet such "victims" while hiking. I've certainly been part of the rescuing party more than once.

Yes, I've been as well. The most recent time in the Whites was a couple of years ago while descending OBP - about midway between the hut and the TH. We came upon a party of 4 thirty-somethings. One fellow was very whiney, saying he couldn't get down, etc, etc, to the point where his gf wanted nothing to do with him. Upon questioning, it didn't appear anything was much wrong with him except he was tired and very angry - he'd just gotten off his cell phone, and NH F&G refused to come out after him and carry his sorry arse off the mountain. But, it was obvious they'd never get out before dark, so ... I gave him a spare headlamp as they didn't have any lights, and one of my friends walked them down. I had a previous commitment, but my friend didn't. It all came out OK, and it only took them about 3 more hours to get to the TH.

That particular incident sticks in my memory because one of the two fellows was such a whiner and had a huge sense of entitlement. I kinda toyed with the idea of just letting him spend a night in the woods as a method of fixing that, but fortunately my friend was feeling more generous towards him.

Twisted fund raising

Reading this report brings forth a vision of small groups of S/R personnel roaming around the hills looking for people to "rescue" and then charging for their help. The groups of three of four "rescuers" would be reimbursed for their time by receiving a percentage of the "fine".

Any missing item of "recommended equipment" would be enough to trigger the "rescue".

Of course this is written "tongue in cheek", but I think it could happen.

FWIW, I'd bet that a number of unreported rescues of this type are performed by hikers who simply happen to meet such "victims" while hiking. Doug.

True enough. We given water, socks, sharing lights, information, etc.

What I thought funny about the video is the reporter said "Fish and Game 'stumbled' across two other lost hikers" while rescuing the fellow who called. Stumbled? Really? How about "met," "discovered," "found. Maybe they used the word because the woman who they helped had been stumbling and hurting her toes.

I just remember when choosing words in professional writing meant something.

Looking forward to helping someone in the near future...