Solar Equipment Stolen from WMNF Campgrounds and Facilities

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
A spokeswoman for the White Mountain National Forest says over $10,000 worth of solar panels and related components have been taken from campground and recreation sites.

Tiffany Benna says thefts along the Kancamagus Highway have included eight 2-by-4-foot panels; three 12-volt electrical panels; charge controllers; inverters; and deep cycle batteries. The items were taken between October 2011 and March.

The solar systems provide electricity for lights and exhaust fans. They also provide water for campgrounds and bathroom facilities at forest recreation sites.

Benna says several incidents of vandalism also have been reported. Some trees have been felled on restroom facilities at trailheads and recreation sites and signs have been damaged by graffiti.

This story was in today's UL and surprised me that a) it happened, and b) it's just being publicized now.

The reality is that if someone wants to steal specific equipment its going to be hard to catch them in the act in a remote area. I have looked at the system at Lincoln Woods in the past and it was not what you call theft hardened, the wiring was no where near any known code and it was quite accessible with few tools. Whoever stole it probably did need to do some planning, so it wasnt a smash and grab. Depressingly that means that some moron decided that they needed it more then the general public.

With the current "prepper" hype I expect its some moron that thinks they will survive the end of civilization with a batch of 20 year old panels and a battery bank that is most likely borderline. Unless the system has been upgraded, even the charge controllers are old technology most likely PWM. I expect the USFS should keep an eye on Craigslist.