Who's done the Hamlin/Katahdin loop?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another interesting note. Quoting the BSP website:

"Park rules require hikers to carry only one piece of equipment - a flashlight (or headlamp)."

With a day use parking pass you can arrive at the gate at a somewhat more reasonable hour than you would if you wait in line with out one and hope for no shows.

FYI: DUPR spots are held until 7:00am on the day of your reservation, after which any unfilled DUPRs or remaining space will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.

For those of you who are still limiting your visits to the Park because of past bitterness, I suggest you take a fresh look at the policies. BSP has evolved (e.g., solo winter day use).

And for what it's worth, several rangers are "real cops" as they have been through the criminal justice academy.

For those of you who are still limiting your visits to the Park because of past bitterness, I suggest you take a fresh look at the policies. BSP has evolved (e.g., solo winter day use).

And for what it's worth, several rangers are "real cops" as they have been through the criminal justice academy.

How about allowing dogs in on a leash? :eek:

Legally defined "Assitance Dogs" have been allowed in the park. An AT thruhiker finished a few year back on the summit with her dog and I beleive Bill Irwin also did with Orient. This did and does open up a "can of worms" as the assistance dog laws have reportedly been abused to allow people with no need of assistance to bring their pets into places that preclude pets. Unfortunately Baxter's rules (which are pretty well cast in stone) and the subsequent interpretations by the park commission are not expected to change anytime soon regarding pets.

I'm glad I live so close to the mountain. It allows me to pick and choose my days in Baxter with little notice. I've been on Katahdin every month from May to November, haven't tried red tape for winter ascent yet. I think I've been to park near 20 times and on Katahdin about a dozen. I haven't had too much problem with rangers. I also have freedom to go on non weekend days with little or no planning too so that helps get my choice trail usually. Oddly enough last year a friend was visiting from PA and we decided to go to Baxter and on July 4th we actually got Roaring Brook Parking. I asked the ranger at the gate if any Katahdin Trailheads were open he said none. I said we'd go to the Brothers and he replied....Just Kidding 4th of July joke and all lots were still available. Being fast hikers we were first on summit that day and had peak to ourselves for a good 15 mins.

Baxter Hamlin loop

This thread has drifted a bit but here's my $.02: I did the loop a few years ago, in my 50's, up Helon Taylor, across KE and over to Hamlin then down Hamlin Ridge, an awesome loop, yep the first half is a bit strenuous but not a particularly long day, I think 8 or 9 hours total from Roaring Brook, taking time to enjoy the spectacular view, especially from the Hamlin Ridge IMHO. I agree with previous posters about White Mt comparables. If you're in pretty good hiking shape, definitely go for it!
Enjoy.
John