Devil"s Hopyard[upper kilkenny] via Kilkenny ridge and Devil's hop trails. 3-12-12.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
Devil"s Hopyard[upper kilkenny] via Kilkenny ridge and Devil's hop trails. 3-12-12.

trail cond;hiked 1.3 miles into upper Kilkenny to devil's Hopyard gorge.Trail was in great shape with slight mud.Trail along south pond is very special,stunning scenery.Devil's hopyard gorge was very slippery and still had snow trace!South pond gate was closed on right side which leads to Rec. area and kilk. trailhead.
spec. equipment;Had my trail shoes which were not adequate for the gorge with its moss covered boulders[small stream below],boots would have been preferable.Water,rain gear,fleece and sunhat.
comments;Had intended to hike in Dixville notch area but there was a giant Balsams auction going on.Yuck! So I kept driving and ended up at the South pond right fork gate.The new road to south pond rec. area was so nice I used my longboard to make short work of the mile to the K.R.S. trailhead.Nice to try something new.The Hopyard was amazing with its nasty cliffs on both sides and underfoot stream.Did not get to dead end of gorge due to bad footwear.Trails looked not used since winter.Nice to find snow in a unusual area. www.nneht.blogspot.com for pics.