Loop Trip Advice (Jackson, Webster, Willey, Field, and Tom)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a backpack hike this weekend, as follows:

Leg One: I plan to start at the Highland Center, cross the road for the Webster-Jackson Trail to Mt. Jackson, then to Mt. Webster and the Webster Cliff Trail. Then cross the road again to hit the Ethan Pond Trail to the Ethan Pond Campsite. Tent, eat, sleep. Day one done, about 10.8 miles.

Leg Two: Leaving the campsite I plan to backtrack to the Willey Range Trail to Mt. Willey, Mt. Field, then to Mt. Tom. From Tom I'll backtrack to the A-Z Trail then head back to the Highland Center. Day two done, about 7.6 miles.

Being an overnight I'll be carrying more so that's a bit of a concern, but it otherwise sounds like a nice hike to me. Are there any thoughts or considerations I should have or know about? Any advice?

I was thinking about doing Owl's Head this weekend but am undecided because of potential water levels. I'm thinking they'll be lower than last week, but I'm also thinking another week will help make that trip dryer, easier. Any thought on this, too, will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Mike

Sounds like a fun trek to me...what are your concerns in terms of this backpack? If it's just the extra weight, than I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your mileages are reasonable so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for Owl's Head, we were there last Saturday 5/12 and the watercrossings were a bit high, but still doable. We did the Black Pond bushwhack which cut out 4 major crossings. If you do this hike, I would definitely bring water shoes so you can take off your boots and just wade across if need be.

Thanks Owen. My concern is the extra weight being more dangerous on the Jackson-Webster segment's steeps and ledges. I mean I should be fine, but I figure it never hurts to ask for advice.

I read about your Owl's Head hike on your blog and it sounded like a lot of fun (it's part of the reason I'd been thinking it's time for that one). I'll make it easier by splitting it into two days (I'm itching to camp). I do have some water shoes that I planned to bring if I do this one for sure. This does seem like a good time: fewer bugs, I hope, more open woods views and sight lines. I may do that one instead this weekend... just not sure yet. Debating it (I'm preparing to go either way at the moment).

Speaking of Owl's Head: I'm curious, has anyone bushwhacked from Franconia Falls, following the brook, instead of via Black Pond? I'm thinking it might offer up some nice scenes.

It's not far out of your way, Mike, to pick up your camping / heavier stuff while crossing 302 the second time ;) Yeah, it's probably 'cheating' your backpack somewhat...

Tim

Re: Owls Head Mountain

The trail to Franconia Falls turns into a herd path after the trail ends. It isn’t complete — I think the original path ended at a stream crossing — but keep going in the general direction, staying within sight or sound of the river (I don’t remember any great views, though) and you can pick up paths here and there that will eventually connect you with the Lincoln Brook Trail. I came out right next to Lincoln Brook.

Not long after I did that in October, I caught up with two fellows who had taken the Black Pond bushwhack and they told me that they had ended up on the Franconia Falls fishermen’s path before they got to Lincoln Brook Trail, so it may be six of one and a half dozen of the other which is easier or shorter.

There are still a couple smaller crossings you’ll have to make, one is a little confusing about where the trail is located on the other side, because the trail there is more stream than trail, so you may have to just follow the stream until you see the next blaze, if there are any. I don’t even remember.

I had delayed my hike a week or two, hoping the water would go down (from Irene, I guess), but it was still pretty bad when I tried to stay on the usual trails rather than bushwhack again during my return to Lincoln Woods. I made it across the first crossing without getting my feet wet, but not the second. It was a minor miracle I didn’t completely lose my balance and fall down, so be careful if you decide to wade through.

It's not far out of your way, Mike, to pick up your camping / heavier stuff while crossing 302 the second time ;) Yeah, it's probably 'cheating' your backpack somewhat...

Tim

Thanks Tim. I was thinking about that, essentially linking two days hikes, but it looks to be four to five miles up the road to get my gear, then another four to five to get back on the loop trail. If I had a second person for a truck spot it'd work, but as is it sounds like a lot of road walking. For me, road walking is almost as bad as mall walking. (Mall walking's an odd phenomenon: I can hike 15+ miles a day in the mountains, no problem, but if I walk in a shopping mall I get tired really fast.)

That said, after what Owen wrote I'm seriously thinking about getting back on the Owl's Head route I had been considering originally. I've even gone so far as to start making text and map copies on both trips in preparation.

The trail to Franconia Falls turns into a herd path after the trail ends. It isn’t complete — I think the original path ended at a stream crossing — but keep going in the general direction, staying within sight or sound of the river (I don’t remember any great views, though) and you can pick up paths here and there that will eventually connect you with the Lincoln Brook Trail. I came out right next to Lincoln Brook.

Not long after I did that in October, I caught up with two fellows who had taken the Black Pond bushwhack and they told me that they had ended up on the Franconia Falls fishermen’s path before they got to Lincoln Brook Trail, so it may be six of one and a half dozen of the other which is easier or shorter.

There are still a couple smaller crossings you’ll have to make, one is a little confusing about where the trail is located on the other side, because the trail there is more stream than trail, so you may have to just follow the stream until you see the next blaze, if there are any. I don’t even remember.

I had delayed my hike a week or two, hoping the water would go down (from Irene, I guess), but it was still pretty bad when I tried to stay on the usual trails rather than bushwhack again during my return to Lincoln Woods. I made it across the first crossing without getting my feet wet, but not the second. It was a minor miracle I didn’t completely lose my balance and fall down, so be careful if you decide to wade through.

Thanks Raymond. Doing the crossing with a larger load is a concern for sure (I expect my trekking poles will be valuable). It's been on my mind. Also thanks for the info about the trails (or lack thereof). Looks like I'll go by way of Black Pond if I do, and I'll take a GPS.

Anyone know the Lat/Lon of the Owl's Head Path trailhead and any other key points?

I haven't done the Webster Cliff section south (on the AT it's South) of Webster so that's one disclosure. You could probably cache some of your heavier gear off trail at the AT crossing of 302 saving your knees the descent with the weight.

The waterfall off Ethan pond should be flowing real well. I'm ADK bound this weekend & have been watching the weekend forecast there which looks good. If the weather in NH is the same, I'd do the 302 trip over Owl's Head in a heartbeat. (disclosure view junkie & I've been to Owl's Head in high water - the upcoming OH winter trip will be my last to the summit unless my kids are peakbaggers)

I've done the Franconia Falls bushwhack in reverse, same high water trip mentioned above. Crossing once was really stupid, the return trip might have been even worse. It's a walk along the river, nice if you like those things, it's nice, but I'd much rather have the other views. (I've been to Willey four times & have never had a clear day so this forecast would make my decison easy)

Save the Owl's Head trip for a weekend with gray skies & limited views. Even in summer haze, the view of Franconia Ridge from the slide is close enough not really to be hindered by haze. In summer heat, the water more inviting & Franconia Falls never really has a "meager flow" compared to the falls off the Ethan Pond trail. In a dry summer, they really aren't worth the side trip.

My .05 (.02 with inflation)

If you do Webster Cliff, please let me know how the trail is from the last lookout to 302. I maintain that section and I have yet to make a trip this year. I plan to visit that section in the next week.

@Mike P: Very good point about this weekend, the O.H. views (or lack thererof), and waiting until a less-stellar weekend (as this one's supposed to be) to do that walk in the woods. Also, very good idea about stashing some of my gear. Thanks to your suggestions I think I'm going to do the title loop this weekend and just wait on O.H. Thank you.

So many hikes. Each week I have to pick just one for the weekend. That's difficult for me at times. :)

@MadRiver: No problem. Each week I try to write detailed report. On that segment I'll pay even closer attention to the minutiae you'll want and get back to you.

Thanks Tim. I was thinking about that, essentially linking two days hikes, but it looks to be four to five miles up the road to get my gear, then another four to five to get back on the loop trail. If I had a second person for a truck spot it'd work, but as is it sounds like a lot of road walking. For me, road walking is almost as bad as mall walking. (Mall walking's an odd phenomenon: I can hike 15+ miles a day in the mountains, no problem, but if I walk in a shopping mall I get tired really fast.) QUOTE]

I would stash you tent and sleepbag and other heavy items in a drysack on the webster cliff trail 302 jct. that way you dont have to haul them over webster jackson. Interesting route choice BTW

I would stash you tent and sleepbag and other heavy items in a drysack on the webster cliff trail 302 jct. that way you dont have to haul them over webster jackson. Interesting route choice BTW

Thanks freighttrain48. I may do just that. Regarding the route, I decided on it for the number of peaks to be bagged, the area and its loop potential, and the placement of the camping site within that circle; leaves less than half for day two.

If you are good at following faint trails the fishermans path is complete, if you lose it keep walking and it will reappear

And there are no stream crossings - just some side channels you can avoid by staying W - unlike the Black Pd Tr which crosses Black Pd Brk a couple times

It is my preferred summer route to Owls Head

If you are good at following faint trails the fishermans path is complete, if you lose it keep walking and it will reappear

And there are no stream crossings - just some side channels you can avoid by staying W - unlike the Black Pd Tr which crosses Black Pd Brk a couple times

It is my preferred summer route to Owls Head

Good to know. Thank you very much.

Made It!

Hi everyone, just reporting back. It was a very nice hike. I didn't cheat the backpack either. I put the idea out of my head and carried my stuff. Gotta stay in shape; starting weight was 33 pounds all inclusive.

It was an awesome hike, a circumnavigation of Crawford Notch. Now when I do my Presi-loop I won't have to double back after Jackson to hit Isolation as I had thought (parking at PNVC and doing a big solo loop is what I have planned).

For anyone interested in the conditions, I posted a report here.

Of special note: Ethan Pod Campsite was full (it filled after I got there)! Wow. I may have to crawl off into the woods to sleep come summer.

Thank you for all of the advice!

Mike