Lucia's Lookout in Pillsbury State Park 5/18/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Picture-013-L.jpg

I hiked with my Dad for the first time in a couple yrs, and we did a good one...Lucia's lookout in Pillsbury State Park. I didn't know there were good views from the park because I had always seen pictures of lakes, but I'm glad we explored a bit more. Off we go....

The bugs were terrible on this day. DEET was laughed at. Probably because of all the nice water everywhere...

May Pond (I think)
Picture-002-L.jpg

Flapping wildlife
Picture-017-L.jpg

Up on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway, in a section of spruce.

Picture-022-L.jpg

Small clearing at the Moose Lookout
Picture-027-L.jpg

A Tri-trillium
Picture-025-L.jpg

The trail up to Lucia's lookout was fairly easy, till the last couple tenths where there was a climb. The bugs made it much worse...black flies are fairly ruthless right now. Still, the views at the top helped out.

Kearsarge Mtn looming large
Picture-052-L.jpg

Monadnock
Picture-042-L.jpg

Looks like you can see Mt Washington on a clear day!

Picture-050-L.jpg

We descended down the Five Summers Trail...I was a bit nervous because I heard the trail might be impassible in sections, but it was readily followed with some care up high, and well blazed.

Picture-066-L.jpg

On the lower section the trail became an easily followable snowmobile trail, which passed some beautiful ponds, with great backcountry camping opportunities.

Picture-092-L.jpg

Picture-020-L.jpg

This is definitely one of those off the beaten track hikes, but very much worth the trip if you are in the area.

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...out-2/23074727_7WLvqN#!i=1857022847&k=RkVRX4M
http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...okout/23074481_BPwwhF#!i=1857003373&k=qCsm6XV