Backpacking and contact lenses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm backpacking this summer and a friend is joining me for a four days, 3 nights. She has never backpacked before. One question I couldn't answer for her was about her contacts. She can't see without them. Should she just bring glasses? Is it possible to backpack with contacts and keep them clean,etc. I don't know anything about contacts, so if anyone can help me advise her I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Hey Early Bird,

When backpacking out in New Mexico, I used a two week lens and kept a small bottle of solution handy. I kept enough of the lenses moist in the case to last the trip, and took another set of contacts on the trek. When getting into camp, I took the contacts out and hung them up in the bear bag, since the solution and case can be smelled by bears. I'd honestly go for it, just makes what we glasses wearers long to have, 360 view of the world!

I can be a pain, mostly by keeping your hands clean enough to stick in your eye. Non-freezing seasons makes it much easier.

I had never thought about the bear-bag before. Interesting. I usually keep my case close to my chest in my bag. And, I keep my glasses, storage solution, and a small bottle of saline in a little stuffsack that basically stays within reach all the time.

I'd add that I bring hand sanitizer, which isn't perfect, but it helps.

As a contact wearing person, I would bring glasses, nothing would suck more than having a bluebird day, but all you see is a bunch of fuzz :), let along the objective dangers of not having vision. I've gotten poked before on MacNaughton in the ADKs by a beechwhip which took out my left contact lens so if anything, carry spares.

You also probably want to ask her what kind of contact lens.. I don't know too many folks with hard lenses anymore but there are different types of contact lens as well. I have the kind that is 2-week disposables that you can occasionally sleep in them, so at home, I always take them out overnight but when backpacking, I'll sometimes leave them in. But different people have different eyes so sometimes, my eyes get dry overnight and I may have to resort to a new pair or glasses. Also consider pollen and allergies.. pollen can irritate contact lens wearers so sleeping in them might not be great as taking them out and cleaning them kind of resets the pollen...

I'd also suggest to try sleeping at home with the lens if she hasn't already... if it's bad and not possible at home, it probably wont be any better on the trail.

Jay

I've taken many a backpacking trip using daily disposables. They're extremely lightweight, when you pop 'em out they just go into your trash bag, and all you have to carry is a small bottle of rinse (as well as the means to clean your hands) for putting a fresh pair in every morning. If at all possible for her eyes (fit and prescription) I'd recommend this route.

I've had no trouble with my lenses; they're extended wear, I just wear them (including sleeping) for the whole trip. Of course bring spares. And MUST bring unbreakable prescription glasses. I ALWAYS have these; they are my "11th essential." With a prescription of -6, I would have a hard time getting out of the woods without vision correction. I have nice ugly pair, with plastic lenses, a black rubberized frame that you can tie in a knot without breaking it, in a steel case. Ugly and heavy, but I WILL be able to see if I can't use lenses for any reason.

I've had no trouble with my lenses; they're extended wear, I just wear them (including sleeping) for the whole trip. Of course bring spares. And MUST bring unbreakable prescription glasses. I ALWAYS have these; they are my "11th essential." With a prescription of -6, I would have a hard time getting out of the woods without vision correction. I have nice ugly pair, with plastic lenses, a black rubberized frame that you can tie in a knot without breaking it, in a steel case. Ugly and heavy, but I WILL be able to see if I can't use lenses for any reason.

I do the same. It's nice to not have to actually even touch your lenses during a trip if this is an option. I bring one pair of spares and a set of glasses as well. I bring lubricating eye drops also to keep them from getting dry.

I have been using my contacts for 30 years on the trails n never had any problems. You must wash your hands well when taking em out n puttin in. I use dish soap n water to clean my hands. Bring a small bottle of solution. BTW the animals never toutched my solution, it has no scent. Sanitizer on your hands will burn your eyes since it is alcohol n skin sofeners n perfumes and not really get the grit n grime off your hands. I take em out every night n wear my glasses in camp.

Disposable contacts, carry an extra pair as a backup incase they get lost or damaged.

Easy enough.

I've done both when I wore contacts (daily, not extended wear). It requires some caution in managing them because of the conditions, starting with clean hands aside from the use of sanitizers. She may decide the contacts lens just aren't worth the bother. It is very individualized as to experience and preference.

She should also bring sunglasses for use while wearing contacts, prescription sunglasses, prescription glasses and the contact lens rinse/cleaner and whatever she uses to clean the glasses ... and croakies, too! Sunscreen and perspiration can be an uncomfortable mix with contacts and a smudge on glasses. The only way to know what works best is to field test all the alternatives at the same time ... likely a preference will develop quickly.

With time her eyewear management will be second nature and not the initial inconvenience it may start out as. Whatever she chooses, it is wise to have the other as backup.

She's an experienced day hiker though right? Or is the four day backpacking trip her first trip out in the woods? If this is her first trip other than an hour or two in local parks, her eyes are just one issue.

On Contacts, I'd start with the hand sanitizer & then do a very good job of washing that off. My personal preference would be to use soap & water when possible. Everyone tends to be different but as someone who sweats going up a small hill on the golf course four days of glasses would be brutal for fogging & dripping. If the route isn't too hilly & you are carrying everything (She does not & maynot sweat), then glasses aren't bad & are easy. If she's carrying a full pack for the first time.....:rolleyes::confused:

What's your destination & route? Many of the well traveled trails shouldn't pose a problem with sticks & branches. I've never had an issue. If bushwhacking (if memory serves correctly MacNaughton is a bushwhack - it's not an offical ADK 46er & I have no plans to go so if there is a trail, mea culpa now) glasses or even goggles are not a bad idea. I do like wearing sunglasses a lot but on a dozen or so herd paths, I've maybe had the glasses knocked off once or twice.

If in the Whites & your route passes a hut each day, they have running water. How are you washing your hands for four days? I guess you could get by with just sanitizer & still follow proper food preparation guidelines. In order to take them out, she'll need clean hands without alcohol (residue) on her fingers, probably a small mirror too. (I can take mine out w/out but not in) If you're boiling water or purifying, she just needs soap, a small case & small bottle of solution.

How are her eyes? I'm able to go several days without taking mine out, (I'm supposed to & I wear them 3-5X longer but my eyes don't produce that much build up, my wife goes through them 2x as fast & is often losing on & she gets a lot of build up.

She probably should have a back up & then a back up to the back up. Bring a spare pair - (daily's sounds like a plan if she can get them) & bring glasses. Back in 1996 I stayed at JBL & forgot my glasses, once I took out my lenses, I missed a cloudless night (well I saw it was dark :eek:) I was blind to a great night sky.

...And MUST bring unbreakable prescription glasses...I have nice ugly pair, with plastic lenses, a black rubberized frame that you can tie in a knot without breaking it...

In Marine Corps boot camp, we were issued these and they were known as "birth control glasses". The reason being when you're wearing them, no girl would ever want to ... well, you know where I'm going.

To the OP: for backpacking, I like to keep things simple as much as possible. I vote for the glasses over contacts.

Last edited:
I'm a contact wearer and I just leave mine in for the entire trip and give my eyes a good dose of solution in the morning. Carry extras of course, just in case.

, I'd start with the hand sanitizer & then do a very good job of washing that off.
Hand sanitizer kills bacteria--it does not clean dirt off.

My personal preference would be to use soap & water when possible.
Removes both dirt and bacteria.

Everyone tends to be different but as someone who sweats going up a small hill on the golf course four days of glasses would be brutal for fogging & dripping.
I also generate a lot of heat and sweat quite a bit when active. However, I have very little trouble with my glasses fogging. My lenses are plastic, which may be a factor.

Doug

My wife uses the 1-day disposable contacts for extended trips in the backcountry, and she brings her glasses for backup. This system has always worked great for her, no issues at all. Also, I've not heard of contacts or contact solution posing any bear issues - it's just plastic and salt solution. In Denali NP where you have to watch "The Video" they did not mention anything about keeping contact paraphenalia in the bear canister.

Hand sanitizer kills bacteria--it does not clean dirt off.

Removes both dirt and bacteria.

I also generate a lot of heat and sweat quite a bit when active. However, I have very little trouble with my glasses fogging. My lenses are plastic, which may be a factor.

Doug

Typically it wasn't the fog, it was that the lenses were a dripping mess. I assumed they would wash the obvious dirt off. (Silly me) Don't know anyone who would put muddy fingers in their eyes..... (If they are, see C. Darwin's work on natural selction)

I'm another one that uses daily disposables and brings glasses as backup. I like the disposables because I don't have to bother with a case or solution.

Your friend might want to consider a small mirror if she needs help putting her contacts in and out (I never use one, but Steve does).

Mirror!/altitude effects

Yes, yes, do bring a mirror! you can get a tiny one in a makeup container or other small cosmetic container. I have made the mistake of forgetting one--what a pain. I always backpack with contacts and bring glasses for night time. This may seem obvious, but take out your contacts while it's still daylight. You'd be surprised at how hard it is to change contacts, while blinding yourself in your tiny mirror with your headlamp!

Also, I have found that when I go above 10-12,000 feet my contacts don't work--so, not sure where you are going, but keep altitude in mind. Something about the pressure changing or affecting the way the contact sits on your eyem which renders your prescription pretty useless--big change, at least for me, when I get up in altitude. I now know to switch to glasses above a certain altitude.

Your friend might want to consider a small mirror if she needs help putting her contacts in and out (I never use one, but Steve does).

Thanks everyone. I sent my friend the link and she's been checking it out. Lots of good suggestions. I'm sure it will help her figure out what will work best with her prescription and all.
I used to wear glasses and never wanted what I thought would be the hassle of contacts. Glasses are no fun in rain or winter. After two seasons on the trail (and a fall that left me scraped up and with bent glasses) I opted for Lasik.

She's an experienced day hiker though right? Or is the four day backpacking trip her first trip out in the woods? If this is her first trip other than an hour or two in local parks, her eyes are just one issue.
If the route isn't too hilly & you are carrying everything

We're going over the highest peak in VT. She's won showshoe races in her age group. And I am not strong enough to carry anyone's stuff but my own.:p I've no doubt she'll do great.

I'm another one that uses daily disposables and brings glasses as backup. I like the disposables because I don't have to bother with a case or solution.

Mirror is a great idea. I find myself looking in car's side mirrors at road crossing and trail heads.

I have a mirror that must of been a free promo from Allegra cause it says "allegra" on the cover. I also carry it as an emergency signal device so it follows the tenet of the ultralight backpacker.... Multiple Uses! :p

I have also used my car mirror as well when car camping and lazy.

Jay