Kilimanjaro training in the Whites - foul weather alternatives??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gram

Reaction score
A friend is coming up from CT for a weekend to train in the Whites for Kilimanjaro. She’s looking for mileage and elevation gain. She will be hiking with my daughters who will do Franconia ridge with her if the weather is good.

They need a foul weather alternative
– something sheltered from wind and rain
- no slippery ledges, but elevation gain
- maybe 8 miles or so
- car spot is possible

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kilimanjaro is a wonderful climb. We did it about nine years ago and didn't do any specific training. Just our regular hiking in the Whites stuff. Most of our days were about 6 to 8 miles in length. At higher elevations on Kili the trail became steeper and with scree, so I would suggest trails that have scree so they know what that feels like. I remember my legs feeling really tired as we were coming down in the area below Gilman's Point for a few hours. The guides tried to get us to ski/slide down through it. We tend to concentrate our efforts in going up the mountain, but half the trip in footsteps is coming down the mountain, so include declines in training. In my estimation, a very important training will be for altitude, which you can't train for here physically. But you can train mentally by realizing what to expect will make a difference. Over 10,000 feet and they will begin to feel effects they are not accustomed to. Of course there is the potential for HACE and HAPE, which I hope they are able to avoid, but everyone has HAFE (high altitude flatulence expulsion) or gas and bloating. Unexplained feelings and sensations cause fear, i.e. if you don't know that how you are feeling is related to altitutde and somewhat normal, you might think you are ill. Also, food doesn't taste good (not the fault of the cooks or the quality of the food they bring, it's the altitude). We took the longest trip we could and found that gave us more time to become adjusted. We hiked slowly. The guides insisted on that. Water - drink, drink, drink. We didn't take drugs for altitude but asprin and tums made a differnece. Also, candy to change the taste in your mouth. Food was unappealing up high. There was nothing in the world I would have chosen to eat, but eat you must.

Last edited:
Lincoln Woods Trailhead to Mt. Flume summit via Osseo Trail.
One way is about 5.6 miles with 3286' gain.
There is a series of steep wooden steps, but no real ledge scrambling because of those.
Most of the route is nice footing with a steady moderate grade.
You can skip the last 100 feet of trail to the summit if you want to stay out of the wind.

Last edited:
A friend is coming up from CT for a weekend to train in the Whites for Kilimanjaro. She’s looking for mileage and elevation gain. She will be hiking with my daughters who will do Franconia ridge with her if the weather is good.

They need a foul weather alternative
– something sheltered from wind and rain
- no slippery ledges, but elevation gain
- maybe 8 miles or so
- car spot is possible

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you going with a group and what guide services are you using?

The best climbs have the most ledges, both exposed to wind up high & wet down low.

I like the Osseo option, Galehead & Isolation are good to (Isolation is closer to 14.5 RT) providing the amount of rain doesn't make water crossings hard. Only the very top of Isolation & Flume are bare & could either be skipped or braved as you can easily poke out your head & go, thanks but no thanks. (a slip & fall or getting blown off the wrong side of Flume is far uglier than Isolation but unless the wind is projected to be high this weekend, it's a better trip.)

Tri's are covered at the top but most North Slide up might be a poor wet weather choice & Sabbaday has crossings & iffy footing up high too. For a scree climb, going up & down the south slide might be a better training option.

As also mentioned candy or some other food she craves & plenty of water. If your friend always uses poles, maybe some easier hikes without to work on knees. If she doesn't she should get some & practice using them as they will make the trip easier. Had a co-worker who was a real strong hiker & climber have no issues getting to Muir camp on Rainier but once there, couldn't eat & that prevented her from reaching the top.

Valley Way trail fits your requirements, but I can't recommend it to anyone. It's an awful mess. Take Brookside to Lower Bruin and finish on VW. Far better hike.

I suppose that begs the question: Does the trail need to summit?

Gale River trail to Frost to South Twin really is only exposed for the last few feet. A lot of the elevation gain is on the way up to South Twin.

Both have a hut nearby for bad weather emergencies.

edit: Maybe Mt. Kinsman trail? No real ledges, lots of elevation, sheltered the entire way to the summit(s) for the most part. It's right around the corner from Franconia so they wouldn't even have to make a weather decision until they got to the Kanc. ;)

Last edited:
Kilimanjaro scree

I've been on the Kili scree fields, coming down the South Tripyramid slide is good training. Doing all three up Scar and down South Tripyramid slide is a good elevation day. Good luck, it's an awesome trip. If you get to visit other National Parks afterwards in Tanzania, I highly recommend Lake Manyara. Have fun!