Wilderness First Aid & CPR Course

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Saw an article this morning:

SOLO-Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities will be teaching a first aid & CPR certification course, "Wilderness First Aid," on 1/22 and 1/23 (Sat & Sun) at the Millers River Environmental Center in Athol MA. Classes are 1/22 9-5 for first aid, 6-9 CPR; 1/23 8-4 wilderness first aid. Includes: assessment & treatment of specific injuries, evacuation techniques, creating a level of personal preparedness, mock rescues, emergency, medical and rescue skills.

$180 for all, $145 without CPR Includes books, material, snacks. Lunch and dinner should be brought or bought locally.

For details and registration call Kemper Carlsen 978-544-3223 or www.northquabbinwoods.org

Might look into it. Have been trying to get my wilderness first responder for a long time but my damn winter filled up so fast i have no clue what happened. No more money, new job, midterms, travel...ugh

Thanks, Dave.

Couldn't find anything on north quabbin's site. The SOLO site shows the course in Athol running on 1/15-16, rather than 22-3 as listed in the article.

I'm thinking of it too, but just after Christmas isn't a good time to think of spending yet more money!

Has anyone taken their Wilderness First Aid course? How useful is it?

SOLO WFA is an excellent course, I recommend it to anyone who spends a fair amount of time in the woods. You will learn lots of extremely useful information that can and will be used by normal folks while hiking, skiing, etc.

-dave-

I took the Wilderness EMT upgrade over a year ago. I considered it worth the investment in time. The instructors for that course were very good. I think enough of the class that I will recertify in 2005 to keep it current. Fortunately, my service pays for the classes but even if it didn't I would still pay for it.

That is the real test of "if it is worth it" :)

Keith

I just took the Solo Wilderness First Aid program in November at Solo's facility in Conway. I thought it was very well worth it... I have always "improvised" in dealing with the few minor accidents I have been involved with or witnessed, but I feel like I've learned a more "systematic" method of evaluating and addressing an injury (reinforced on the trail by the "SOAP Notes") through the WFA course.

I'm planning on taking a Red Cross CPR course this winter...

Cheers,
Paul

I finally took the SOLO course thru the AMC in Sterling Forest, NY and it was worth the drive both weekends. Now I really wish I could get the WFR through a local course run on weekends only, but nobody seems to do that (unless I wanted to join the ski patrol).
Does anyone know of a company or group that would do a bridge from CFR to WFR? I can take the CFR locally then perhaps a weekend bridge course to WFR (yeah I know, dream on.)
IMHO anyone who spends time away from the road should take the WFA and carry a decent first aid kit. The rules change when you're on the trail and there is no 911.
Many thanks to the AMC (NY/NJ chapter) for offering this course at an affordable price.
Happy Hiking,
Tom