3-day canoe route in the 'Daks region - suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjk

Reaction score
Hi everyone –

My wife and I are looking for a three-day canoe route in the Adirondacks. We’llb be on the water Mon, July 1 to Wednesday, July 3rd – Though we’d consider an addition al day if the route necessitated it. We’d prefer:

1) A fairly remote area.
2) Relatively calm water – Lakes and moderate streams but we can do without serious rapids.
3) Portages are fine, but we’d prefer not to do one every hour.

Any thoughts / suggestions ideas accepted. We’re splitting a summer vacation with three days of canoeing and then four days of backpacking in the ADK region. We’ve got the backpacking part figured out.

Thanks -
SJK

It's not probably what you have in mind, but...You could paddle Lake George from Bolton Landing north through the islands. There is day hiking opps on both sides of the lake with great views and camping/resupply/bail-out opps on the islands and shore. There are *always* some camping spots left open on the islands or at the campgrounds, like Rogers Rock. Beautiful area.

1. Oswegatchie River from Inlet to High Falls - narrow wilderness river with slight upstream current - no portages but may have to lift over beaver dams, possible to paddle above falls in real wilderness setting.
2. Racquette River from Long Lake to Axton Landing - big lake to pleasant river with nice camping spots - one carry (3/4 mile?) around Racquette Falls on wide trail - a classic Adks. canoe tour.
3. Lake Lila - big lake with many primitive camp spots.
4. Little Tupper Lake
5. Bog River Flow to Lows Lake
6. St. Regis Canoe area - small ponds and lakes with short carries - easy to string together 3 day route.

Lots of information online about these varied canoe routes. Enjoy!

Blue Mountain Lake to Long Lake is a nice 3 day paddle. Camping on the more remote west arm of Forked Lake is a highlight. Start at Blue Mountain Lake and take out at the boat launch in Long Lake Village. There is a long portage leaving Forked Lake (1.6 miles) but it is easily wheeled along a dirt road. Without wheels it can be a bear!

I'm no expert but try to remember if your "spotting cars" or getting shuttle service. When we spotted cars for our 4 day trip it took a few hours to get it down. Some of the campsites you have to reserve and they are booking up fast, probably not as fast as weekends.

I liked the Little Tupper paddle with no boat traffic, maybe some experts can chime in on that. Have fun, we are planning our Forked Lake (River)? trip for late August. I hope to get up there some weekends this summer, have fun!

Thanks, everyone. I'll research those suggestions. They all sound great. One follow up if you don't mind: If we do something like Tupper Lake or Racquette River, do we need to reserve campsites in advance or is it sort of "first come first serve"?

Chip, the Lake George idea is an interesting one. We both used to work on Lake George so it would make for an interesting paddle down memory lane and the hikes on the east side are really nice. Not sure if we'll decide to do something with so much boat traffic, but it's appealing.

Much appreciate the ideas. We'll let you know where we end up.

Last edited:
Campsites on the Raquette River/Tupper Lake are first come, first serve. Both areas can get crowded on the weekend, since motorboat access is permitted.

If solitude is the most important thing for you, I'll second AOC's suggestions of Little Tupper, Lake Lila, Lows Lake, or the Saint Regis Canoe Area. Both motorboats (and now float planes) are prohibited in all of these areas- which means not only will you not have to deal with boats zipping by, but you're also on even footing with everyone else in terms of getting choice camping spots.

Of these suggestions, the Saint Regis Canoe Area is probably the most remote, but it does involve a lot of carries. None of these carries is very difficult, though, in fact most of them are pretty short.

Take a look at Henderson Lake. Depending on the weight of your canoe(s), you could portage to Preston Ponds or beyond. Secluded trailhead, fabulous views of tall and small peaks in the distance. No powerboats and given the mid week dates, if you see other paddlers, there won't be many of them.

Saranac Lakes (SL): Put in on Lower SL at Ampersand Bay on the western edge of the "City" of Saranac Lake. Through the lock to Middle SL. There is upwards of 100 beautiful campsites on Lower and Middle SL's that can be had for $25 on Reserve America Website. Over Bartlett Carry (.4 miles) to Upper SL. Camping on Upper SL is free, FCFS. North to Saranac Inn and your car spot.
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2041796

Also Round Lake which is connected to the Northeastern tip of Little Tupper Lake. It was totally empty this Memorial Day morning. The campsite #5 at the Northern tip is beautiful. Campsites free, FCFS.
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2108486

Also: Get the "Adirondack Paddler's Map" the 5th edition is now out there.