Mt Clinton and Jefferson Notch Road Pipeline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years, while driving or walking along the southerly end of Jefferson Notch Road or the northerly end of Mt Clinton road, I have noticed an old 6" cast iron pipeline running alongside the road, sometime right at ground level, sometimes buried and sometimes elevated on old metal stanchions. In the past the line looked to be out of service but in more recent years, it has received some minimal maintenance and repairs, frequently at brook crossings. Some of the repairs look legit and some are decidely low tech consisting of a lot of band clamps and plastic sheeting. In a couple of spots the lines were resupported on large wooden cribs. When I last looked at it last year, the line appeared connected, but this year, the line is disconnected at a couple of the repair locations. When I looked at the line breaks at these points, they appear deliberate as the ends of the pipe are sealed with rubber caps. The line eventually appears to turn off the road at a sharp corner in the road where there is a fire road and a cleared swath heading west towards the Mt Washington hotel. When I lookover the historical maps, it shows the fire road heading to just south of the Mt Washington hotel complex. The line would be useless in cold weather as it above ground. The pipe wall is pretty thick so the line could hold pressure but some of the repairs look like they would not have the same pressure rating. I speculated that it could be for hydro electric purposes but given the poor support of the pipes above ground any pressure surges, would probably cansue a leak. The line is fed off a deep pool on the brook that runs along the Jefferson notch road.

So does anyone have any more information on this pipe, who maintains it and what it supplies?