Reminder Laconia Bike Week starts this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Bike Week starts this weekend in the lakes region of NH. Generally its best to avoid Rt 25 or Rt 16 and drive up via I-93. Traffic flow through the area is usually backed up and many bikers will be doing long tours around the whites in large groups. If you want peace and solitude plan on going real far in the woods (Bonds Traverse or possibly Isolation) or go elsewhere this weekend and next weekend as the noise of motorcycles will be quite apparent on many of the ridgelines.

Probably some good weekends for Vermont or Maine hiking;)

Ahh, I guess it's probably not a good weekend to go to the whites anyway, every bike weekend seems to bring dangerous thunderstorms and heavy rain! :)

Jay

Ahh, I guess it's probably not a good weekend to go to the whites anyway, every bike weekend seems to bring dangerous thunderstorms and heavy rain! :)

Jay

Historically, this is true, much to my amusement. :) But, this weekend through early next week looks to be favorable. Good for the businesses.

Careful out there, some of the bikers like to drive like assholes, doubling the speed limit and other antics.

Last edited:
Which brings to mind the old joke:

Q. What's the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?

:confused: We don't normally drive on 25, 16 or 93 but about 17 years ago we were staying on the far side of Winnipesaukee with friends during bike week and it wasn't too tough to take, some extra traffic in town, but that was about it. I actually often enjoyed, how to put this, the views ;). Unless it's gotten substantially worse, it can't be worse than any holiday weekend in the Whites. It's not like they're driving their bikes off road.

Last edited:
I'm kinda idling in wait for the rest of Kevin Riddle's rooney.

FWIW, most of you realize that for a hearty breakfast, go to the place with the most pick up trucks. Well, for the liveliest action, go to the place with the most Harleys. I mentioned this observation once to a biker friend, as we sipped tequila, and his comment was, "Yeah! bikers hate a dull joint."

A: With a Harley the dirtbag sits on the outside. :D

I like that version!

The one that was told me was:

A: With a Harley you get TWO dirtbags...

(And yeah, I know - I have friends who have Harleys:))

Ok, I will admit it, I love bike week! Though I’m not about to walk into a biker bar wearing my kilt, however.

Last edited:
Ok, I will admit it, I love bike week! [...]

Me, too. Bike week is a blast. I've been before and have met some really cool bikers, just like I've met some really cool hikers. There are good and bad people all over, no matter what their hobby or mode of transportation. It's not really fair to make blanket judgements... just sayin'.

Unless it's gotten substantially worse, it can't be worse than any holiday weekend in the Whites.
There are a couple gotchas, such as one day they close the Mt Wash auto road to cars and the 2nd weekend they close the Rte.3 bridge at the Weirs to cars.

There are a couple gotchas, such as one day they close the Mt Wash auto road to cars and the 2nd weekend they close the Rte.3 bridge at the Weirs to cars.

Actually the MW auto road closes 2 days to cars, monday 6/11/12 and thursday 6/14/12.

breeze

I live along route 49 in Thornton and a large number of Canadian bikers stay in Waterville Valley so when I'm sitting by the river sipping some wine a group of 30 or 40 of them will go by. I actually enjoy it since it is only one week a year.

We saw a few bikes Friday and Saturday, but were on 91 and in Bethlehem. Friday night around 8pm a pretty severe storm moved through the area. Sounds pretty calm so far, one police officer injured who had to dump his bike to avoid a collision.

Here's a schedule for the week if you'd like to particiapte or avoid; http://www.laconiamcweek.com/Schedule/