help! recommendations for water shoes needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I had a beloved pair of water shoes from EMS that have gone missing since last summer, so unfortunately I can't post a photo, just that they were low-cut red sport shoes I got maybe 5 years ago, with one of those elastic lace things.

Now that I'm looking for a replacement, I can't find one: everything I find online is either designed along the lines of a crappy cheap $10 shoe which is little more than a shell of fabric and rubber, or a $100 ultra performance water shoe. I'm looking for something in the $30-$60 range that can handle the wear/tear of being in water/mud but provides more sole/ankle support than the cheapos.

Any suggestions? I need to find one before next Saturday and I'm running out of time.

Have you looked in Walmart?

I know, I know everyone hates Walmart but they do have some good stuff at good prices.

I've been finding nice stuff at Gander Mountain and The Bass Pro Shop too. Lots of outdoor stuff, not just hunting and fishing but you do have to wear camo if you want to fit in. :rolleyes::D

If you aren't going to use a pair of Crocs, I would find some cheap paddling/kayaking shoe and use that, more so if you're a kayaker too because I use my kayak paddling shoes as water shoes for hiking. Ya know, that multiuse thing going on for me, I try not to buy specialized gear and always try to reuse...reduce..recycle.. :)

jay

I like my Tech Amphibians from Salomon for spending time on the river running around in the water. For river crossings while hiking I still use Crocs because they're lighter.

This site has 'em for pretty cheap. They usually retail for around $100. Probably wanna act quick on that site, if interested.

Last edited:
Keen used to make a simple paddling shoe which they discontinued. I was able to find them at TJMaxx a couple of summers ago for $25 and I use them all the time when I kayak and sometimes for stream crossing when hiking as well. I have no idea if they can still be found at this point. I did a quick search and you're absolutely right ---- it seems like most offerings are in the 80 - 110 range, which seems ridiculous. LLBean used to make a really simple "sneaker" that was really a water shoe and that seems to have gone by the wayside, as well. I'm kind of stumped. If you like Keens, maybe try to find one of the sandals they make on ebay? Here's an example of what you might find: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MENS-KE...2129517?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2a1e9b6f6d