June is the cruelest month . . .

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Black flies still out in force in central N.H. Ticks are at their worst. Mosquitos have been around now for a couple of weeks. And now, today, I see that the deer flies are already out and HUNGRY. I don't remember deer flies emerging this early before. Argh!

Throw in 6 days of heavy rain, long faces grieving over cancelled hikes, cold temps and my hiking partner catching a bad cold that turned into pneumonia. Not complaining, just saying.

Yes! Throw in 3 days of rain, wind, penetrating cold, camping and hiking the Coolidge/Killington area of VT and I dare say it is indeed "cruel".
I reveled in the sun each time it made an appearance albeit far too brief.
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Molly to. :)

June can be cruel but the Green MTNs were oh so GREEN!
IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Last edited:
Then June teases one with sunny weather, passable altho maybe somewhat wet trail conditions, great hut croo at Carter Hut and not one bad mood'd hiker from 19 mile to Carter Moriah to Zeta Pass and down Carter Dome to 19 Mile..nice group of AMC's today up there on Hight too..no bugs either..as some say, great day to be out!!

Equal Time Must Be Given For Opposing Views

BUT…June give us Alpine Flowers in full bloom, enjoyable both in smell and sight…Days with the most sunlight and cool, crisp nights…In June the forest comes alive in new life, both in Flora and Fauna…

As Aldo Leopold wrote, "In June as many as a dozen species may burst their buds on a single day. No man can heed all of these anniversaries; no man can ignore all of them."

Smile...June is here...Walker

Last edited:
I agree in part, but mostly agree with walker.

I deal with Junes trials because it is gorgeous to be out. The forest understory is alive and interesting.

May and June - go to the islands

For the past several years I have gone to the islands in May and June. I know a few that just don't get buggy. I wait for July to re-enter the mountains ;-)

I love to visit our camp in Rangeley in June!
  • Everything is lush
  • The lupines are in full bloom
  • Strawberries become abundant later in the month
  • Moose and eagles are active
  • Days are long
  • Hiking early in the AM beats the black flies, who seem to sleep in up there until about 11 am or so.

I just wish the grass wouldn't grow so fast in June.:rolleyes: Am going to mow my lawn at home again after doing it four days earlier.

Marty

I've never been able to make it up to the mountains in June before and I never really understood why everyone made such a big deal about black flies....until now! :mad:

Beautiful to watch the mountains greening up though :)

Come to the Monadnock region and hike some nice smaller mountains. Almost no black flies, mosquitoes, or deer flies during the day light hours.

Edit: Also, only 2 ticks so far, both of the canine variety.

Last edited:
5-6 months till snow.

If people hate june,wait till july and august when its really nasty.Good time to stock up on winter gear right now,lots of deals.I had a gig up on sunapee mountain a few weeks back and found a tight ski shop with 50% off shells and down jackets across the street.Picked up a few things.
As far as the woods go,been trying to do my firewood work in the mornings,covered up completely from head to toe.Once I get too hot, I go in.This has helped with the ticks, but now my g.f. made me join the gym because my 6000 cal. a day winter diet is catching up with me being inside more,I hate the gym! What is a poor tick magnet to do though?:D

I'm enjoying the replies so far. The take-away I get from this is:

1) Yes, June is cruel.
2) We are so lucky to live in this beautiful part of the world, even in June.

My beef with the month is that while early spring has ticks and black flies, these have mostly disappeared by summer, when mosquitos and deer flies predominate, yet June has ALL of them out for blood at once. Also, the cold and rainy beginning to the month this year was a bit of a downer. (Though at least the wind and rain kept the bugs at bay for Trails Day.)