South and Middle Carter, and Mt. Moriah via...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Trails: 19-Mile Brook Trail, Carter Dome Trail, Carter-Moriah Trail

Date of Hike: Jun 9, 2012

Trail Conditions: 19-Mile Brook Trail had some mud and a little running water, but it had rained the night before so it was expected. All crossings were easy, the most challenging being the middle one, and it was still rock-hoppable with the help of my trekking poles for balance. Carter Dome Trail was in good shape. Carter-Moriah Trail has some mud and standing water in places, but nothing I couldn't avoid. There was also one broken bridge and a couple of easy-to-pass blowdowns. There was recent and in-progress trail work being done so it's only getting better. Thank you trail maintainer guy!

Special Equipment Required: None, though trekking poles for the aforementioned middle stream crossing might help some folks stay dry.

Comments: I did Carter Dome a few weeks back so I didn't need to hit that one. For this hike I hitched from Bangor Rd. to 19-Mile Brook Trail. Got a ride (from a woman no less) in under a minute. I sweated that part unnecessarily. Met fellow VFTT member Yvon, recognized from his avatar, and his wife Annie. We ended up hiking together part of the way. Very nice folks. They were going to South Carter for the Défi FousDeRando Leucan (a cancer cause). I met lots of Canadians up in the mountains for the same purpose. It's been a long time since I've heard so much French. I also met a guy named Matt, a geo cache hunter. I helped him find the cache on Middle Carter. Nice guy. Very nice hike on a beautiful day, no bugs thanks to a nice breeze all day long. I especially liked the trail from North Carter to Mt. Moriah. Steep and rough in places, but what a treat it was.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH