Thread: bike path walk from Greeleaf trailhead down to Skookcumchuck trailhead?

bike path walk from Greeleaf trailhead down to Skookcumchuck trailhead?

I am planning to go up Skook to Lafayette and then come down via Greenleaf trail. Do you guys and gals know about how long that walk back to the Skook lot is, via the bike path? I may do a bike spot, but the simpler thing would be to walk back to car, if it isn't super long.

Thanks!

--Carla
    New Hampshire 48 x 2

If it makes a difference it is uphill from Greenleaf to Skookumchuck trailhead. Its about 3 miles

Of course the original routing of the trail was right along Skookumchuck brook and came out at the abandoned highway bridge on the bike path. Taking that route would cut out some distance and the relocated portion always feels like it was laid out as an excuse to wander around the woods. This relo added about a mile to the Skookumchuck trail.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 06-12-2012 at 08:06 AM.

I did it a few years ago from Greenleaf to Skook at the end of the same loop. Although it dragged on a bit at the end of the day, it wasn't too bad. Saw my second bear of the day in the section below Artist Bluff!

Better off doing it with a bike if you got one, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by carla View Post
    I am planning to go up Skook to Lafayette and then come down via Greenleaf trail. Do you guys and gals know about how long that walk back to the Skook lot is, via the bike path? I may do a bike spot, but the simpler thing would be to walk back to car, if it isn't super long.
    I did the exact same loop (no bike) in the above direction. I found the walk along the bike path to be enjoyable--about 2 miles.

Doug

I did that loop several years ago and it took about an hour to walk between the two trailheads.
    Ian

My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry.
    You could always begin with the walk. Leave your car at Lafayette Place and walk up to Skookumchuck. That gives you a warmup before starting the climbing, and youíre spared the trudge at the end.

Eight years ago this month, we parked at the Flume in the morning and walked up the bike path to Lafayette Place, then climbed up Mount Lafayette, hit Lincoln and Liberty, then had a reasonably short walk back to the car (once weíd descended Liberty Spring Trail, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    You could always begin with the walk. Leave your car at Lafayette Place and walk up to Skookumchuck. That gives you a warmup before starting the climbing, and youíre spared the trudge at the end.
    I believe the parking for the Greenleaf Tr is at the tramway parking lot. No need to walk the extra distance. I do like the idea of the bike path walk first as a warm up.
    Ian

Count me in as parking at the Tramway & biking to the Skook 1st. Better bike parking there too.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry.
    Oh, yeah. I was thinking Greenleaf Hut and Old Bridle Path, not Greenleaf Trail.

Well, thatís what I meant; to park at the end of the hike and walk to the beginning. I was just mixed up about the location of the trail head.

Anyway, there would be plenty of activity at the tramway parking lot, so perhaps less likelihood of a break-in.

Red face Thanks all!

Great suggestions. I can always count on fellow-VFTTers to come up with some alternatives that I hadn't considered....

--Carla

Oh, yeah. I was thinking Greenleaf Hut and Old Bridle Path, not Greenleaf Trail.

Well, thatís what I meant; to park at the end of the hike and walk to the beginning. I was just mixed up about the location of the trail head.

Anyway, there would be plenty of activity at the tramway parking lot, so perhaps less likelihood of a break-in.
    New Hampshire 48 x 2

I made the mistake of coming down the Skook, you are wise to climb it. That trail is a muddy mess and very slippery.
    But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.

http://www.onchristspath.com/4Kpage.html

That's what I thought. Don't feel bad I say that type of stuff all the time.
    Ian

For distances along the Bike Path see Franconia Notch Recreational Trail (Bike Path).