Flags on the 48 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for keeping on this. Great event. Sad, but I feel like the collective memory is fading.

I'll add to above: As you are (should be) sitting there for a couple hours, this is a great opportunity to present personal tributes of lost heroes and for "trail magic". If you can carry some extra snacks, small gatorades...ice cream on dry ice...that is always a great and welcome thing.
Also, display a (the) flag up and down the trail as you hike. I've had many good conversations on the trail about the event and 9/11.

SilentCal said:
1. Flags can be any size, nation, state or what not.

I'll say this: I believe: There should be an American Flag that is the prominent flag on the summit. If you are compelled to NOT carry an American Flag to and on the summit, perhaps you could find another venue and day for your free right of expression.

I'll say this: I believe: There should be an American Flag that is the prominent flag on the summit. If you are compelled to NOT carry an American Flag to and on the summit, perhaps you could find another venue and day for your free right of expression.

Is this really an issue? Has there been a rash of Russian flags showing up on NH summits recently? I hadn't heard about this.

It's never been an issue; however, I will confess that normally we announce basically what Chip is suggesting: all flags are welcome, but each Peak Coordinator should be bringing at least a US flag.

Last year someone flew what we think was the flag of Pakistan (it was a long distance to get a clear view) way out on the ledges towards SW Twin.
The year of Katrina I brought the Louisiana state flag to fly below the US flag.
I think the POW/MIA flag has been flown as well.

Doh, Jim! :rolleyes: you had to go and say that!

I think that old saying "don't ask for what you wish for, you might just get it" is fitting here. Of course, we got it in spades!!!! My flag is wrecked.:(

US flag will always be prominent on my peak but I flew a smaller Canadian Flag on my summit since I am in fact Canadian. We also fly a small flaf for each branch of the armed forces.

I mentioned this in a few places but hadn't posted it here yet: my handheld anemometer recorded an average speed of 43mph on Mt. Washington shortly before we decided we had to take the flag down. During that interval there was a vicious gust which I didn't get but the Obs up on the tower recorded as 71mph.

Driving the auto road in these winds and the reduced visibility was not at all as unnerving as I thought it would be.

After enjoying quite a stretch of wonderful weather for the past several years, we were due.

I want to thank the crew of Mt Passaconnaway for having me and my pups along. ;-)

Old Glory was raised from noon to 2pm just off the summit on the main view ledge facing east. Hanging from the mast was a fireman's hat from Ground Zero brought by one of our group.

The rain held off and the skies slowly cleared by 2pm.

It's hard to believe its been 11 years.

We had quite a few visitors. The awareness of Flags on The 48 seems to grow each year, with most hikers coming to the summit to see the flags. I think there was only one person this year that visited the summit who hadn't known of the event.

My one regret this year was that my husband was unable to join us, and his richly powerful tenor voice did not lead the Star Spangled Banner this year as the flag was lowered. We all attempted to sing, but it just wasnt the same, although through our timid and often out of tune notes, our hearts were totally in it. ;-)

Thanks to everyone for a powerfully moving day of hiking and of course, remembrance.

The skies opened up during our last two miles of hiking and we were thoroughly drenched, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Thanks, Jim and the organizers, for keeping the torch burning. Let us never forget.

Last edited:
For the couple minutes I measured the wind on Moosilauke we were averaging 27-28mph and I saw a gust of 37mph. It seemed to stay that way the entire time we were up there.

For the couple minutes I measured the wind on Moosilauke we were averaging 27-28mph and I saw a gust of 37mph. It seemed to stay that way the entire time we were up there.

I didn't measure the wind (had no equipment to do so), but I was a boater for years and am cognizant of such things, and I'm guessing we had nearly sustained winds on the summit of Mt. Adams at around 45 MPH with gusts in the 70s on Mt. Adams. It was pretty intense.

Thanks Amy, Karen and I are in photo #46 & 47, she is wearing a yellow shirt and I'm standing next to her in my kilt. :D

Anyone know the National Guard site where they post the photos for FOT48?

Mad River----> The Blackhawk took a great shot of you, Happyhiker and I assume Scoutmaster on Willey. You and Happyhiker are at the lower ledge with your arms waving and Scoutmaster is back at the flag. I'll get those to you.

Oops. Poison Ivy beat me to it!

Today I received word that Wildcat A was covered today which gives us 100% coverage for year! This runs our coverage streak to 9 years in a row. I'd like to personally thank all the VOLUNTEERS who went out under uncertain weather conditions and helped make this years event a success. A big thumbs up goes to David Breton and his Blackhawk crew for the added bonus of a flyby this year. A thank you also goes to the guys of the Steering Commitee who volunteer their time to get this off the ground every year.

Final note: Flags is just a rememberance. Flags is people taking the time to work together to acheive a simple goal. When we worry about the after-party, t-shirts, calendars and what not, we are losing sight of of why we are really out there. I'm commited to keeping this event as "pure" as possible. It's a simple rememberance event and it allows hikers from all aspects of life to participate. Hope to see you all next year. --------> Safe travels, Silentcal